UPDATE part of the squirrel distress whistle calls were just too thin for many printing methods. So I've updated it and they should print better now. I also added a loop for attaching a string on the v1 model.
Ok, so I got into squirrel hunting. They don't taste too bad actually. But they are illusive little buggers! I saw the squirrel distress whistle calls online and attempted to replicate them just from pictures, and failed epically. So I bought the two most prevalent squirrel distress whistles on the market and found out what I was doing wrong. I remodeled both and tested them and they tested perfectly!
Even if you aren't hunting them, these little whistles are still fun to just mess with the little guys. They would make for a cool Cub Scout, Weebleos, and Boy Scout projects
The first thing I found out (once I had the commercial ones on hand) is that the hole in the middle needs to be about 5mm, any smaller and you don't get good results, any bigger and it's kind of the same. You also need a little chamber in the middle. The size of the chamber in the middle of the two pieces has to be small as well, otherwise you get a deeper sound if you make that chamber too big. I did in my initial attempts. I may play around with making the diameter of the v1 a smidge smaller at some point in the future, but for now I'm quite happy with my results.
So the bigger one is my favorite (v1). It's close (and by close I mean almost perfectly exactly close) to the Mr. Squirrel Call, which works wonderfully. And by that I mean the commercial one and the one that I modeled here. This one (that I printed in ABS on a zortrax with fine detail) sounds every bit as good (IMHO). This is my 3rd of 4th revision, but I'm confident it is perfected now.
The smaller one is modeled after the sound making portion of the Lohman Mr. B's Distress Squirrel Whistle. Which actually has a resonance tube as part of it. I modeled the sound tube holder for it as well, but the sound maker works fine without it. This one sounds pretty spot on as well. If you print the tube you don't have to glue the two pieces of the sound maker together, as the tube will hold both pieces together. I have now printed the tubes (I designed two of them), and the sound makers fit perfectly into them, so I'm considering this to be a fully successful project. The tube makes the call a bit louder, and directional.
I printed two of either of the v1 or v2, out of ABS on a Zortrax printer. Then I glued the two pieces together with acetone. So what I did was just hold the two pieces together in my hand. Then I soaked a cotton swap in acetone, then wiped the cotton swap with acetone along the seam of the two pieces. The acetone will seep into the crack and fuse the two pieces together, permanently. Simple.
I recommend printing on a printer that has a really high resolution like a zortrax or an SLA printer, because the parts are small and have fine detail. Printing two of either of the sound maker pieces should only run you about 30-45 minutes or so. I have not printed these on a PrintRbot or Makerbot yet. So if you do, please take a picture of it and post it here, I'm sure everyone will be interested in how they turn out. I know I would be. Printing these in Flexible material would be interesting, but I doubt the fine detail would come out smoothly enough. PLA would probably work, but it's too brittle for me.
I have to admit, I've grown lazy and I've started using TinkerCAD almost all the time. I can model things faster and easier than any other CAD design package on the market. I've used Inventor, Fusion 360, and FreeCAD. But none of them are as easy to use for designing as TinkerCAD. With the new design interface you can put bevels on your geometric primitives, which I do all the time now.
This thing was made with Tinkercad. Edit it online https://www.tinkercad.com/things/a4TQcHqtnSS