Update1: I made new crank, its reinforced and its easier to rotate slowly (I made it 3 gearboxes as its relatively hard to rotate whole thing) next step would be to improve planet gears holder as its now weakest part for 3 gearboxes variant.
Update2: I added reinforced version of planets holder thingies, they are pretty solid now and I consider this project finished :) https://youtu.be/ytXheS1m-V4
PS i find 2 gearboxes and old crank as best one, 3 gearboxes are cool but too much friction ruins the fun and also more possibilities for whole system to jam... but the choice is yours :)
How to assemble (sorry for quiet audio) https://youtu.be/9Z3ExSQPsK8
Hello , I just want to publish my few months worth project :) I don`t know why but I wanted to make mechanical toy, something that can do something while few days ago it was just static filament roll.
Straight away I want to thanks those guys
as I used their parts as I felt I will have troubles creating my own fan and my own gears.Thank you for publishing your projects even tho I heavily modified them.
There is no suggestions to how you should print it, just one thing - there is no need in supports in any of parts and there is no crazy business with shapes. Your printer should be pretty accurate for parts like fan case and fan holder and there will be veeery small gap when you insert one into another so it will rotate freely but it wont jump left and right and all over the place. So i hope your printer can do it.
Assembling should be easy
1) insert Fan_case_pin into Fan_case, there is small cap on pin and bit wider hole end in case so pin will stop at the right moment
2) insert Planet_gear into Planet_holder_bottom while keeping the small bump on gear on top
3) close the Planet_holder bottom with Planet_holder_top
4) take Fan_holder and insert it into Fan, there should be click sound when you do so and it should hold fan firmly and without skews
5) insert Fan_holder with Fan into Fan_case with planetary gearbox awaiting on the other end
6) place Crank_holder on top of assembled gearbox
7) insert the Crank_pin into Crank the same way you did with Fan_case pin and Fan_case
8) insert Crank_handle into assembled Crank_pin (take note that this is one way trip, it will hold on in place pretty firmly but pins inside crank handle will break if you try to take it off)
9) insert the assembled Crank into Crank_holder
10) there are Pin and Short_pin, there are not really needed but I made my models ready for them even tho i dont really plan to use them (maybe short pin only)
Short pin is to connect Fan_holder and Planets_holder_top so it wont move up and down at high speeds, Pin is to connect gearbox with gearbox and gearbox with crank buuuut, maybe connecting gearbox with crank can be good idea ,it works without pins.
11) only thing i suggest is to glue gearbox ring gears together with each other and fan case pins with gearbox so it wont fall apart if you will try to use it to its max
Anyway sorry if i forgot something , there were tons and tons of iterations and thinking involved there is like 10 versions of everything but i think its pretty reliable and easy to make now, hope you like it. Enjoy!
Ah almost forgot , main feature of this one is you can place one gearbox after another, multiplying speed more and more! :)