It works and it is amazing. It boosts the accuracy extremely!
I wanted to upgrade my UM with direct drives.
Problem: You need larger rods for this.
Solution: Replace the Rod for 10mm.
I printed the parts. I mount them.
I printed some parts, to make sure, it works.
1.) Make my own Version of a Rod Spacer
2.) Make my own Version of a Direct Drive
3.) Made the Thing printable without Support
4.) Printed it. Got Screws needed M3x40mm.
5.) Make the Alu plates with the threaded M3 Stopper-ALU-M3.stl
6.) Mount it all on the UM
8.) Long time testing > 10h printing
9.) Added a Fan Mount to the Steppers
10.) Added a Image to the Gallery, how to assemble it.
11.) Create the instructions for this thing.
12.) Very long time testing. > 100h printing etc.
Material i used for my Direct Drive
Tools i used
- Drills 2.5 , 3, 10mm
- Grinder for the alu parts
- Tap drill M3 for the threads in the alu parts
- Ultimaker to print the parts
If the CNC Coupler does scratch the inside of the Direct Driver Bottom part, use a grinder, to flatten the Screw heads.
I tighted the screws, to fix the rods. Then i released them for like 1/4 turn and then i grinded the screw heads so they do not stand out.
Tight all screws from the Stepper first, move the CNC coupling in the middle , so there is a space on both sides. then tight the coupling.
Try to move the Rods by Hand, and make sure, its not grinding anywhere.
- I suggest you clip on a fan, so the steppers will never "melt" any of you printed parts.
- If you have any questions or problems, let me know!!