12/31 UPDATE: Found out the hard way that the first thing that breaks is the "G" on the King's crown.
I made two new versions - one with a much sturdier "G", and one with a conventional crown, but with a large "G" on the King's chest.
These are both attached now.
I liked the chess set from Steve, but the first couple I printed had fragile arms and seemed a bit small for the resolution.
I revised to put the arms close to the body or holding something, and that seemed to work out ok. For the King, I extended his staff and enlarged the platform so I could anchor the staff.
I then scaled all up to 125% of original, and for me, it looks better.
For supports, I only added a couple of treelike for the Bishop's book, the King's "G", and the Knight's hands.
I used PLA, 205C extrude, 60 board, 100mm/sec base.
Minor cleanup for some burrs. I used a Dremel with a small tapered grinding stone.