<Updated with a little tongue and groove to help place the two halves and provide better capillary action when glueing. Much thanks to user Ridley for the design tip! >
This is a "two parts in one print" design with no raft or supports needed.
Print the "DNA_Helix_Pencil_Holder_Full_06.stl" STL file
- After print, remove two parts from print bed.
a. bottom of helix is outer print
b. top of helix is inner print.
- (Optional) Use "DNA_Helix_Pencil_Holder_Optional_U_Snaps.stl" x 2 on the outside of the helix to secure the top and bottom parts together. These are pressure-fit snaps that fit on the outside of the Helix. Use a screwdriver to gently lever them out if you need to remove them.
- Assemble with glue, or your favorite adhesive to make the bond permanent. (I used super glue). With the snaps in place glue may be optional.
- Insert Pencils and display.
- Take a picture and post on Thingiverse :)
I also have a Sharpie version: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1924310
I've also had requests for a smoother version: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2789838
- added tongue and groove design
- added U-snaps and holes to create an optional "Glueless" fit
- added optional separate files for dual printers and customizations:
a. "DNA_Helix_Pencil_Holder_06PartA.stl" - this is the bottom part
b. "DNA_Helix_Pencil_Holder_06PartB.stl" - this is the top part
c. "DNA_Helix_Pencil_Holder_Extension_01.stl" - this is an optional extension (so far untested). Put this part in the middle and add 8 pencils (or 8 DNA letter pairs).
d. "DNA_Helix_Pencil_Holder_Optional_U_Snaps01" - this is a u shaped pressure fit snap that fits on the outside of the Helix into the two 4mm holes at the middle. (I'll add a picture to clear up any confusion). It should also be able to bond the optional extension.
- Added a Smoother version
- fixed slic3r issue
- Added a tall version (215mm tall) for those with printers that can print that high. You probably need supports for the top of the design. If you get a successful print with the tall STL file, let us know the settings you used so I can post it here.
- For those like me with normal sized printers - use the "DNA_Helix_Pencil_Holder_Full_06.stl" file and follow instructions above.
Use Snaps or Super glue bottom of helix to top of helix. (or use alternative bonding method).