Yes, yet another filament spool hanging device.
I realized if I attached the spool to the underside of the small wire rack shelf I have next to my printer for my notebook that I could put tools and other things on the space underneath it.
This should work for most types of wire rack shelving. This is set for a 90 degree hanging angle on a shelf 14" (356cm) wide. If your shelf is smaller or larger you might want to edit the .step files and change the angle of the rods. (Sorry, i'm not an openscad kind of thinker, heh)
I also wanted a way to easily change spools (I keep my spares bagged up so they do not absorb Seattle moisture.) So the spool "axle" just sits in the sockets which allows it to be easily interchanged with my other spools. The outside nuts on the spool rod are not tightened down, but rather I have 2 nuts on the ends of the rod acting as a cap.
Print the following:
2x Bearing Inserts (Or use another spool insert, I made my own because all the ones I saw seemed heavier on plastic than I thought they needed to be)
2x Part #1 (The crossbrace)
4x Part #2 (The hooks)
You will also need the following hardware:
2x 608 bearing (I managed to get some used skate bearings at a local skate shop, they work just fine)
22x 5/16 (or 8mm) nuts
4x 10" (250mm) of 5/16 (or 8mm) threaded rod (or longer, I cut mine to 12" (305cm) and it turns out I could have saved some)
1x 6.5" (165mm)of 5/16 (or 8mm) threaded rod (Spool axle)
The long rods will vary in length based on the width of your shelf, my shelf is 14" (356cm) wide. Or you can just edit the files to change your angle.
Assembly. It's a little difficult to lineup (It'll always seem to shift when you tighten it up), but it's not that hard to adjust.
I put the hooks on first, then slid the rods through the crossbrace and adjusted the fit. (I suggest lock washers or non-permanent loctite added after things are tightened down)
My axle shaft for the spool just lays in the crossbrace, it's up to you if you want to do this, but I like how it allows me to change spools as if they were sewing machine bobbins.
I put one nut on either side of the spool inserts, then once those are locked down I put 2 more nuts on either end of the rod to act as caps so the crossbrace can't wander off the end of the axle if it should spin.