Since 2012, I'm traveling around the town/country/world with my little folding RepRap !
I started by a folding reprap the size of a Mendel, then a smaller version more Huxley-transportable, and finally I'm developping this one build with standard aluminium extrusions.
The FoldaRap was the world's first foldable 3d-printer (yay!).
More on the RepRap Wiki FoldaRap's page
Lots of pictures/videos on flickr
My adventures/travels with it gave birth to OpenEdge, which grew to make even more FoldaRap and Mondrian, then moved toward the industry/education with customs Alto and the HD/HD-E.
During the summer 2017 I went back working in FabLabs, but found time to update the FoldaRap with ideas waiting for implementation.
I also started a LiberaPay account to explore alternative business-models : micro-donations for the design/documentation rather than selling hardware.
Version 4.0 (released winter 2017)
Version 3.5 : released autumn 2017
Version 3.0 : released summer 2017
Bringing an easier folding/unfolding mechanism (from 5min to 2sec and a whole redesign.
Version 2.5 : released summer 2015
Version 1.0 : released summer 2012
(main pic by Belowdesign)
Go to the wiki !
Mix a bunch of 20x20 aluminium extrusion, some t-nuts, printed parts, shake.
Voilà : a Foldable RepRap !
- Use Sketchup to read the source file, see the model assembled, folded, and play with it to get familiar with how it's made.
- Order the things you need, (look at the BOM), with a preference for local suppliers if you can.
- While you wait for your stuff, get the latest version of the .stl from the Github repository
- Print the parts with your favorite machine (need to be well calibrated)
- Assemble (based on the source file)
- Enjoy to easily travel with your sturdy and foldable reprap :)