Upgrade for the bed leveling mechanism of the Original Prusa i3 Kit
The bed leveling mechanism of the Original Prusa i3 Kit is quite simple and never really worked satisfyingly for me. Thats why i created this spring-loaded upgrade.
This leveling mechanism lifts the bed higher then the original one. Therefore you will loose ~12mm of vertical build space. Don't forget to adjust your Z-Endstop before homing your Z-Axis
Although the supporting surface does not directly touch hot parts of the heat bed, parts (2) and (3) can reach temperatures up to ~85°C when the heat bed is set to 110°C.
Therefore parts (2) and (3) have to be printed with ABS.
Bill of materials
Besides the printed parts, you need:
- 1x M4x10 screw
- 1x M4 nut
- 3x M3x20 screw
- 2x M3 nut
- 1x M3 washer
- 1x compression spring (5-6mm diameter, the stronger the better)
- Insert M4 nut in nut trap of part (1)
- Insert M3 nut in nut traps of part (1) and part (2)
- Insert M4x10 screw in the top hole of part (1)
- Insert in M3x20 screw in the bottom hole of part (1) and screw it all the way in
- Insert M3x20 screw into top hole of part (2), slip compression spring over the M3x20 screw
- Press parts (1) and (2) together and tighten the M3x20 screw
- Slide the assembled Parts over the posts of the Y-Carriage
- Adjust positions as needed, than tighten M4 screws
- Place the heat bed on the supporting surface
- Join part (3) with part (2) by using the last M3x20 screw and the M3 washer