Three-path Dice Tower, now with stone-like surface!
This is a dice tower based loosely on Laura's Tower in Shrewsbury.
All the components are to be connected using 8mm x 3mm disc magnets. Here's a link of it in action https://youtu.be/Yud55mL8Ov8
I used texturelib.com's brick_pavement_0060 image to make an svg in Inkscape. Then I imported the svg into Autodesk Fusion 360, and extruded it into a solid. This solid was then used to cut stonework into the surface.
I also took shawngeise's (http://www.thingiverse.com/shawngiese/about) advice, and made the top "dice-dumpable". Thanks, shawngiese!
2017-03-23 update: Due to demand, I have uploaded a one-piece tower section. The stairs are still detachable.
2017-03-29 update: Why not? I just uploaded an all-in-one stl file that includes the stairs as well as the tower. All in one.
2017-04-03 update: check out the improvements on this make!
Very nicely done! http://www.thingiverse.com/make:321708
2017-05-09 update: At the suggestion of http://www.thingiverse.com/doctordavemorgan, here is a flat top for use as terrain (Hex_Platfrom.stl). It has a 1" hex grid embossed into the surface. Thanks, DoctorDaveMorgan!
2017-05-10 update: I've been meaning to do this for months: A 3rd floor! I didn't really like the proportions of the tower. So I've created a third floor, to go between the 2nd and top floor. In the interest of terrain use, I added three castellated balconies to it, each of which should be able to hold a figurine. If you printed the full tower, I apologize. If you printed the modular tower, this section will click right into place. If you wanted to make a ridiculously tall tower, print and stack multiples. Of course, the dice will shoot out like rockets after dropping that far ;)
2017-05-11 update: I re-generated the stone texture (used to "stamp" the texture on the outside of the tower) and have uploaded it.
2017-07-18 update: I finally made a base to keep the dice captive! the file is here, and the base (a remix of devonjones' dungeon tiles) is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2441719
2017-08-01 update: There's now a poorly-shot video of the tower & base in action here: https://youtu.be/UM9lduOIe2k
2018-07-10 update: OMG, go check out Hsus's insane tall tower remix at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2953592. I love it!
2018-08-15 update: Based on a request from Dr_Pippin, I uploaded an updated all-in-one 3 story tower and stairs, all in one STL. I truly envy your build volume! All you'll need to print is this one STL file and the platform. (If you want a top platform)
No STEP files, I don't use them. ;)
2018-08-18 update: Based on a comment I made, and the response, I have figured oout a way to keep the dice from flying off the stairs, while still retaining the correct appearance. And still, NO SUPPORTS REQUIRED! :D
I created arches that follow the contour of the stir railing, and merged them with the stair objects. At the widest spacing, the maximum gap between columns is 13.886 mm, plenty tight enough to retain 20/25 mm dice.
I'll be updating the all-in-one models with an arched stair version, and rendering images with the updated stair objects over the next few days.
15%, hexagonal. But the infill really doesn't matter. Use whatever you like.
I also used 3 perimeters. I didn't use any brim, since the heated bed glass (60°) + elmer's purple glue stick holds the part down really well.
Personally, I use Slic3r. I like it.
Assembling the thingy
I used ordinary Cyanoacrylate Glue (Gorilla brand superglue to be precise) to fix the magnets into the holes. It also helped that the holes were a snug fit on my 8mm x 3mm magnets. I used parchment paper (silicone-impregnated cooking paper stuff) on my desk top to avoid ruining the desk.
I first "buttered up" the inside of the hole with glue, placed the magnet on top of the parchment paper, and pressed the tower segment down over the magnet, forcing it into the hole. The desk surface (which is protected by the parchment paper) made sure that the magnet was flush with the surface.
I also made sure that each section had at least one magnet pair mounted the "other way". This meant that the sections snapped together in only one orientation. If all the magnets in a tower section were north-south (instead of north-south, north-south, south-north), then the tower could possibly go together facing ±120° in the wrong orientation.
To avoid any mistakes, I only did "one side" of each magnet pair using the "force the magnet in using the desk surface" technique. After the glue finished setting up, I laid parchment paper over the section with the magnet already glued in, then placed the matching magnet on top. then I "buttered up" the holes in the mating section, and pressed that section over the magnets held in place by the already-glued section. This way, I made no north-south mistakes, and the tower segments are perfectly aligned.