I've updated the file to V2 with improved cannons and rear.
One of my favourite film designs created as a personal design challenge over the holidays for testing a new Laser Cutter.
The plans are for 2.8mm material. Scale as required for thicker material.The large one was made with the same plans in 6mm poplar laserply.
The 'Layer' versions have cut and etch lines on separate layers (I think!) #Updated with corrected versions
I'll add some useful build photos when I glue the next model.
The construction is pretty easy but that may just be because I've made a couple of them. Message if you need more instructions.
Use a good quality fast drying wood glue.
The Head is a little tricky as the edges do not lie flat against one another.
Use the etched guide lines on the legs to get the correct angles. Use the holes in the joints to line up the connections A thick needle will help with this. Cover them with the pop-out circles.
The Head can be placed at any angle you want using the pop-out section inside the roof.
Detail of the inside of the head. Note the scraps used to help wedge the front cannon in place and the removable/rotatable cross socket that receives the neck
1 - build the body box taking care to align the etched sides as per the photo. You can also get the roof and neck glued at this stage
2 - build the legs. Note the etch marks that help with alignment.
3- cannon, feet and side cannons. Note left hand side cannon now replaced with larger cannon
4- get yourself a cup of tea for this bit. Build it sides and front first, then the back when the rest is dry. Use an elastic band to keep it all together .Note - rear appendage now removed
5 - the V2 version of this cannon is a much better fit and doesn't need the scraps
6- attach the feet using the hole and etch marks for alignment
7- attach the legs and neck to the body and give them time to dry before finally putting the head in place.
Designed completely in Inkscape using a blurry copy of some old blueprints.
Personal design challenge. Allowed myself limited time during holidays and only three prototype cuts.
With more time I'd add some framework inside the head to make gluing simpler.