Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

jprikkel

Ultimate 50mm Rotating Spool Holder - MakerBot Replicator 2

by jprikkel Jul 17, 2013
Download All Files

Thing Apps Enabled

Please Login to Comment

Very nicely done. I will be printing this out for my FlashForge Creator Pro! I hope I wont need to mod it to fit! I LOVE IT!

I adapted this to my Replicator 1 Dual also... But had to make a couple changes to the mount, the spool center worked fine. On the mount i had to remove the lip around the back side of the mount, with that lip on there it wouldn't fully seat into the hole in the back of the replicator. I see some comments from those that made them for their Rep 2 that it sits at an angle, this is because of that lip on the back. I imported it into TinkerCad and removed that lip making the backside of the mount flat, now it fits perfectly. Also the 3 1/2" bolt was a little short and wouldn't fully engage the nylon portion of the nylock nut. To remedy this i removed 1/4" or 6.35mm from the end of the snout that the bolt goes through on the front side of the mount. I also put a flat washer between the spool and the mount and pressed a washer into the front end of the spool. This gives it a lot better durability over its life because the nut won't be rubbing into the plastic of the spool and the mount and spool won't be rubbing together also. I took a 5/16" drill bit and ran it through both the mount and the spool a few times to clean and smooth the insides for the bolt and then added a very thin coat of some silicone lubricant. Now i can adjust the nut to adjust the tension of the spool so that its just the right amount of free spin.

Slic3r, blender and also Netfabb report that the mount has a hole in it and is not manifold.

I couldn't see how to fix the problem in Blender. It appears to be where the support material joins the body of the mount, but it all looked OK to me.

I'm going to try to print with the "fixed" version I got back from Netfabb.

Should mention that it makes some disturbing sounds when printing the main holder! Just realised it's the cooling fan blowing the central hole and whilsting; thought for a moment the drive gear needed oiling :-/ Anyway, great design, much needed having been shipped a spool of filament too big for the stock holder.

Good point. Thanks for the comment.

WOW This is a VERY cost effective improvement. I've printed both 38mm and 50mm and man... what an improvement. Continue your great work. PS: Thanks for designing-in the supports!

This, my friend, is going to drive the MakerBot community wild!

Thanks, I really like the way it turned out. 38mm version posted soon.