Quickly change 50mm filament spools using this amazing free spinning spool holder. The holder rotates freely to reduce friction and ensure smooth prints. Convenient slots enable you to quickly secure the spool using a filament clip. As a bonus, you don't lose filament clips. Both 1.75mm and 3.0mm filament clips are part of this project.
Video of the spool holder in operation:
This spool holder requires a bolt and lock nut commonly available at most hardware stores. The cost is usually less than 40 cents.
Requirements: 5/16" x 3.5" hex head bolt, 5/16" lock nut, 1/2" socket, and printed parts
- Print parts without support or raft
- Snap off supports from the Spool Holder Mount
- Insert bolt in the back of the Spool Holder Mount until flush
- Slide the Spool Holder onto Spool Holder Mount bolt
- If the Spool Holder doesn't rotate freely run the bolt in and out to wear down imperfections. You can also try 300-600 grit sandpaper on the smooth section of the bolt.
- Attach the lock nut to the bolt with a 1/2" socket.
- Tighten the lock nut so that the Spool Holder still spins freely.
- Attach new Spool Holder to back of MakerBot Replicator 2 and enjoy!