This thing has been replaced with http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1030514
Further updates to this object may not be posted here.
Have a hole in a panel, desk or bookshelf that needs to look nice with a hole grommet. But wait, the hole has to be big enough for a power cord and now the hole is too big. Well finish it off with a matching cover that let's the cord through and covers the hole.
We use these to dress up holes in coroplast, acrylic, plywood, and other paneling so it looks professional and so that the cord or 3D printer filament doesn't snag.
Don't want to download and install OpenSCAD, make your own with Customizer (on this page).
Edit the parameters to make the panel grommet as needed. The OpenSCAD code generates parts designed for each other. So that one once you set the parameters and then generate each part, the inside, outside and cover will fit together.
The customizer and variables in the source are divided into four sections :
Try to print at high resolution (both Z-step and circle resolution) but don't go insane. The higher resolutions will make for a better fit and finish.
This is the thirteen reversion (v0.9.4) that has implemented the following fixes since the original version:
- Length of inside part has been lengthened to correct length
- Countersink on outside part has been removed for better finish
- Hide exposed threads on outside part by narrowing flange hole to ID
- Widen hole when hidden threads set to no
- Fixed variable name to ensure correct inside part length
- Added cover and fixed cover hole selection
- Cosmetic spelling and variable name changes
- Added inside fillet to improve join between cover plug and cap
- Added flush cover
- Added nudging to ensure cleaner object cuts
- Renamed the Global section to General to work around Customizer bug
- Fixed plug length to account for new blind in outside part
Seems the design is (mostly) stable. Please give feedback so the design can be improved. Keep checking back for updates if you've downloaded versus collected this part.