MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.
The Utility Ship kept me busy for more than 3 months due to work and family but mostly due to filament materials tests.
P R I N T I N G S T O R Y
As soon as i decided to proceed with this project (early April) and since the printer was inside the home i thought that it was better to use PLA as a filament material to avoid the ABS toxic fumes. So i started by printing the deck and the bridge of the ship. On Easter holidays, all the large upper parts of the ship was ready so I decided to take them with me on my holidays in order to sanded, prime and paint. I did that and I left the parts in an outdoor area without sun. The temperature those days was close to 30 degrees celcius. To my disappointment, i found the parts wrapped due to the temperature. So, the first attempt was unsuccessful. Almost 1.5Kg of PLA fillament and a lot of hours of printing were trashed. (see the pictures)
After that, i decided to use PLA HT. Why? Because with PLA HT you can apply the annealing method after printing in order to make it high temperature resistant. That was my solution, because PLA is easy to print, no fumes, and high temperature resistant as ABS, I thought. So I started printing the hull of the ship. Because I have the CR10S-Pro which has a large bed and height, the project I decided to use the files from, was the Utility Ship Remix by 08stanis in order to have less parts to glue. Fabulus idea... So after of at least 10 days of printing, both parts of the hull was ready, and I was so happy!!! The hull was ready, I was one step away on proceeding with the rest of the ship. The only think I had to do was to glue the parts and anneal them. Unfortunatelly the oven at home is not so big to fit the whole hull glued so I proceed with annealing each part seperately. I know that while annealing the part is getting shrinked so I made two molds, one for each part, in order to keep the shrinkage on the sensitive areas as low as possible. However, the shrinkage was so different on each piece that they did not fit exactly to bond them after the annealing. The second attempt was unsuccessful also. Almost 1.5Kg of PLA HT fillament and a lot of hours of printing were trashed also. (see the pictures)
After and the second unsuccessful atempt, I finally decide to proceed with ABS. In order to do that I created an enclosure for the printer, because ABS is a difficult material, requires stable temperature and hot environment in order to avoid wrapping when the material is getting cold. I move the printer also to the basement of the house in order to avoid the toxic fumes of the ABS inside the house. I also install Raspberry Pi and Octoprint with camera in order to view the printer remotely for safety reasons. After all these upgrades, i started printing the hull again. I have already print three out of five parts of the hull....
As for the inside of the hull the works i have to do are:
applying primer for plastics
applying epoxy resin XTC-3D
applying carbon fiber fabric and epoxy resin again
The outside of the hull has been sanded, sanded and sanded. Then i had apply one layer of XTC-3D and then fiberglassed with fiberglass fabric and two layers of epoxy resin. I forgot to mention that sanding betweeen each layer was necessary. Then as a third layer i applied again XTC-3D and then sanding again (see the pictures). Pending in order to finish the hull outside is to apply one layer of primer and then painting.
The inside of the hull has been reinforced with carbon fiber fabric and epoxy resin. See the latest pictures.
Hull is finally ready. See the latest pictures. Moving into the other parts now.
Servo, Motors, Shafts and propellers installed. See the latest pictures.
Deck level 1 is ready. The portholes for the doors and windows are from the excellent site HarborModels.com. See the latest pictures.
After two weeks period i just upload latest pictures from the project. Within that period i build the exchausts of the ship and as an addition i added ventilation grills in the exchausts. Then i added headlamps in the deck and lights on the left and right side of the deck. As an addon i attached fire extinguishers on the left and right side of the deck also, just right behind the doors. Then i build the bridge, i painted, added a Search Light on the roof and Running Lights w/ Sideboards. Finally i attached a custom mast, with working radar, purchased again from the excellent site HarborModels.com.