MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Mods/upgrades?

Please Login to Comment

I just bought a Da Vinci Jr 1.0w a few weeks ago and was really excited to finally have a printer of my own. But after using it for awhile and realizing that everything about this printer is proprietary, from the filament used to it's slicing software. I find myself looking for ways to improve this printer. Does anyone here know of any mods or upgrades that would allow the use of other filament types (ABS, nylon, etc) and improve print quality?

one way is with hacking the firmware but you get no support from xyz and you need a better hot end

i did the ramps conversion... took me about 25 hours total but its completely non-destructive. I can go right back to the "original" board as soon as someone figures out how to flash custom firmware to the OEM board.

1. You can use Cura as a slicer with Jr. How to here - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1915076
  2. ABS, Nylon etc... Without heated bed it'll be pain to print anything but PLA. You can do DIY heatbed mod with external temperature regulator board and good luck finding 150x150 bed or silicone heater for that size for reasonable price.
    (Btw Cura opens the doors to the manual temperature adjustment)
  3. Of course different materials are great but all that NFC chipped filament thing... If you are on firmware v2.2.4 or lower - you can use hacked NFC tags. If v.2.2.6 - you can downgrade. If v2.2.7+ ... well.... Enjoy XYZPrinting's filaments... Nothing can be done in this moment in time...
  4. Actually there is ultimate hack what you can do - swap your electronics to RAMPS. Hell of a job but well worth it...

Info on 3 and 4 you can find if soliforum dot com forum.

Hope this helps.

XYZ Printing daVinci Jr 1.0 + Cura 2.3.1 + ThreeDub
by kr15_uk

Thank you! I'll look into that one

soliforum.com has a section dedicated to all that stuff.