MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

PTFE Tube Length?

Please Login to Comment

I need to replace the PTFE tube and hoping someone can give me guidance on the length...
Should the tube be cut long enough so that when the nozzle is being tightened onto the hot end, the PTFE tube "bottoms-out" against the nozzle, and that's what prevents further tightening? Or is there supposed to be a metal-metal seal of the nozzle with the hot end and the PTFE tube is slightly shorter than the space it occupies?

I gave up on PTFE tubes a very long time ago, to me it's just a over engendered solution to bad old extrudes. Can't think of any reason why you need it on newer designs. I got tired of replacing them on my old Replicator Dual so I just left it out and noticed no difference in quality, except that it would get jammed every once in a while when trying to replace the filament because it forms an elephants foot that gets wider than 1.75mm and jams at the top. A quick fix was drilling out the top of the hotend. I have a MicroSwiss all metal hotend on one of the extruders, honestly always forget which side because there's no difference in the prints except when printing high temp stuff like Carbon Fiber Nylon where's the MicroSwiss hotend is better at moving the heat to the filament and if i print on the brass extruder tip it will wear it out quick.

Also, when PTFE is overheated it releases toxic gasses into the air. And the heater block always has hot spots that reach those temps if you anywhere near 230c.

Soooo.... i came to say leave it out and drill out the top so the filament doesn't get jammed in the extruder.