MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

New X5SA-500-2E owner.. upgrades? tweaks?

Please Login to Comment

I just finished building my X5SA-500-2E.
Several cables were too short (I have ordered extensions) and there are no filament runout sensors with cables (are those sensors generic?).
The bowden tubes were coiled so tight I can't get them to nicely arc over the drag chain. Can you straighten Bowden tubes, or is there another way to deal with that?
While I am waiting for these simple fixes, is there anything else I need to tweak from people who have already gone through all this?
I hope to get a wham bam flexible build plate.

I have an X5SA Pro (330x330 bed). I disabled the inductive bed sensor and installed the graciously provided z-stop sensor to send Z. I do not like "auto leveling" code, so I spent the time and manually leveled the bed and then set Z. Works fine every time, no matter what the temperature is. Next change is to tie the two Z lead screws together with a belt so they never get out of sync. There are several "things" here that do that. My hot end jammed after several hard-run weeks of running the printer, and when I tried to rebuild it, I found that it was not an all metal, the PTFE Bowden tube runs completely through the hot end to the nozzle! Well, I was never able to make the hot end work again, so I am replacing it with an E3Dv6 - There are some "things" here you can print to mount this with a little effort. My stuff comes tomorrow and I cannot wait. Hopefully there is nothing dorky in the firmware that will prevent me from using the E3Dv6!

DLC

Did you upgrade the gantry?
I see several options on here for 'stiff' additions, not sure if that is necessary or which one works best

Nope. Just added a small plate with an M4 screw on it to tune hitting the Z stop. About the most simple printer enhancement that I ever did. My gantry is plenty stout.

DLC

Comments deleted.