MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

X1 Fails Small Holes/Details

detailed extrusion holes TronXY_X1

Please Login to Comment

Hello, I got an X1 a while ago and recently started getting back into printing. I started making lots of upgrades (big thanks to the awesome parts community) and have had a much better experience regarding print accuracy and quality. I am now able to print things at original scale and be less than a millimeter off. Despite this, one thing still remains an issue: holes. They come out appearing stringy and under extruded, I've tried slowing the machine, increasing flow rate, tinkering with temp and nothing seems to fix it. As far as I'm concerned, I have no other issues, just holes.

One observation I have made is it appears that the X1 is failing to extrude for the beginning, instead creating a stringy mess, on larger holes this is short and overlapped by the other plastic. I have seen this behavior rarely on walls after travel. I tried reducing and even disabling retraction thinking that was the issue, this did help with the occasional wall issue (I think, again it was rare to begin with), but did nothing for the holes.

I've attached a picture to show what I'm talking about, the hole on the right is for an M2 bolt with a 4mm countersink and the one on the left is for an M3 bolt with a 6mm countersink. As you can see on the left, the material is so poorly extruded, you can see through to the nut on the other side.

Any info about what this problem is called, sources to read about it, things to try, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!