MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Extruder Issue

Please Login to Comment

Does anyone know what the problem is when the extruder motor keeps popping backwards ?

Temp is 210-215 so plastic should be melted enough to flow easily.
I keep thinking it is getting stuck due to plastic being too cold.

Thanks,
~ Logan

I had the same issue. Up the current on the stepper driver no more than 1/8 of a turn at a time. Monitor the temp of the heatsink on prints to ensure you don't burn it up. It fixed my issue for sure.

Can you post a picture, I'm not sure where this adjustment is done ?

Thanks,

It's a small Phillips style dial near the heatsink for that driver. Trace the wires back to the one for the extruder.

I had this issue. tronxy is just bad... take out your filament, unscrew your printer noxxle, inside there is a tube made out of plastic. you you go over 200 this plastic gets melted inside and clogs it. cut off the melted piece and refeed it back inside the nozzlehead. if the plastic is too badly gone just use a short piece of the filament feeder tube its the same thing same size too. hope his helps.

PTFE tubes are supposed to be fine until 240C or so, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tronxy uses a cheaper, worse, alternative... I've spent far more trying to make mine not completely terrible than it would've cost to just get a better brand instead.

true that bro I got a xyz da vinci 1.0 its pretty nice but the print bed is shattered aond cant find the replacement parts so better or not all 3d printer companies have their own issues.

Turn up the heat until it stops. I print PLA at 230C, but then again I'm printing 100mm/s most of the time. Also what Suromark said....

"heat can creep up along the filament so it becomes soft enought to bulge outwards, blocking/resisting at the nozzle's inlet."

See if you can pull the filament out (I'm assuming a bowden tube). If it's bulged it will be hard to remove. Trim the end and re-insert. If that was the case improve the cooling around your hotend heatsink.

Could be that the spring tension at the extruder assembly (aka idler force) is insufficient. When this happens the hobbed gear can skip because there's not enough compression on the filament between the gear teeth and the guide pulley that the spring pushes against it.

On decent extruders you can adjust the spring tension by turning the screw on the arm in and out. On others you can try swapping out the compression spring for a slightly longer one.

What I noticed when I switched my TronXY from 0.4 to 0.6mm nozzle is that I need to dial down the print speed significantly. In hindsight it's not that surprising - 0.4 ^2 to 0.6 ^2 (area of nozzle) equals more than twice the amount of plastic being processed. Also it's possible that the temperature reading is way off. I've had a test run with a V6 head that reported 215 °C when it actually only had 180 °C ...
Another risk is that during frequent retractions the heat can creep up along the filament so it becomes soft enought to bulge outwards, blocking/resisting at the nozzle's inlet. I typically run 210 °C with max. 40-60 mm/sec head speed with my 0.6 nozzle, any more is no-go.

Unfortunately there's quite a number of possible reasons for that. Low temperature is one, definitely... if you're using PLA, then 210-215 should be plenty, I tend to run it at 200 without issue. If you're using something higher temperature, like nGen or PETG, maybe not.

Another very common cause is a plugged nozzle, but I notice in one of the other comments you mentioned switching it from a 0.4 to a 0.6, so if that didn't help it's probably not that. Trying a different roll of filament is also worth a try... it's not too likely to work, but it's an easy thing to check.

Other options I can think of offhand are slightly increasing the current limit in the extruder stepper driver (be careful not to overheat the driver or motor though), trying some different tensions in the extruder, replacing the heatbreak, or replacing the extruder tensioner bearing.

Hope some of that helps.

Edit: As a warning, if you choose to try adjusting the stepper driver current limit, remember to unplug everything first. Even touching the adjustment screw with anything conductive when it's live will destroy it. I've lost far too many stepper drivers by forgetting this.

Is it extruding? Are you able to print?

It's printing but seems very thin in some areas, like it is straining to extrude plastic.

It's a two color into one 0.4 head.
I did increase the tip to 0.6

Seeing if that helps.