MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Tevo Tornado flashing x ? y ? z ? steppers not working

Please Login to Comment

Okay guys! Hopefully there is someone out there who has run into this before. Well stupid me I bought a "used" Tevo Tornado on eBay. It turned out to be a Amazon return that was marked damaged. Well that was an understatement! It had a smashed printer bed, broken power supply, broken LCD smart controller and a damaged motherboard that would not recognize a computer for flashing.

Oh yes all this just a few days just before the border closed between USA and Canada making return all but impossible (or expensive international shipping) and parts harder to source. I live in Canada just over the North Dakota Border and have a PO box and buy lots states side. So I did find a great supplier in Ontario for the required parts (score) but I am still plagued with electronics problems.

So I made a new Aluminum printer bed and got a Ultrabase 310mm x 310mm glass for it, replaced the Reprap LCD Smart Controller and got a new MKS Gen L V1.0 motherboard and replaced the power supply with a quality one. I managed to flash the Tevo Tornado software from GitHub onto it.
All good right?

Nope.... When I turn on the power the boot screen loads like normal and appears to function as it should however the x y z alternate flashing ??? marks. The board recognizes a SD card, the bed heats, the nozzle heats and the fan turns on but the printer will not home no matter what I do or command I push on the dial. It will not print anything as stated it is like there is no power to the stepper motors it does not see them. What would cause this? Would it be that the A4988 drivers were also blown by what ever screwed up the other electronics??

Thing is I have the exact same response with the factory MakerBot MKS board that cannot be flashed or recognized, everything on it also works but the stepper motors are not recognized/energized.

I am using Arduino 1.8.12 with Marlin 1.1.9.1 firmware. Please guys if you have any idea what I am missing please shoot me a message or reply so the community can benefit here. I have spent a week taking everything apart, reflashing etc. with the same results. I have also spent hours on the internet and could not seem to find the same issue or remedy (maybe I am just searching the wrong thing.

I really like the build of the Tevo and it seems to be really nice quality everywhere else, It is square and was easy to assemble but this has me stumped.

Well that's a sad story. Luckily you were able to repair it.
Flashing ??? is normal as far as i know, printer doesn't know where the printhead is. You have to home it first.
I can recommend the firmware from Th3d (https://www.th3dstudio.com/knowledgebase/th3d-unified-firmware-package/) works fine and is easy to install. A picture of your current board and wiring will help to resolve the problem by the community here or on FB.

Coat, thanks for taking the time to get back to me! Yes, sad and frustrating at the same time. I expected a few little problems with the printer but not the amount that were on this. I am not new to 3D printing and have two other Creality Printers a CR2 and CR3 both of which I really like. Although the CR3was also a challenge to get working properly in the beginning.

Yes, I think you are right that it is a homing issue as the printer does not know where the print head is. My Creality printers show numerical values on that line of the screen always. So maybe a line somewhere in the Marlin.

This past weekend I did try flashing it with the TH3D firmware as I read good things about it. I followed the instructions and download to the letter and was greeted with a display that was ghosting everything and still flashing ? at the x y z line on the main screen. So after a few hours of playing with that I reverted back to working copy of the original Marlin Firmware that I have that I can a least read. With the TH3D software I still could not home or autohome the print head with any commands from the LCD. That is why I started thinking maybe the actual A4988 steppers are also blown?

I will update this with some photos of my screen and as you suggest the wiring to the mainboard in case something there is not right out of the factory?

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction and yes I am hoping the community will help with the issue. I have my other two printers hard at work printing alternative PPE visors and masks for some of our care facility workers here and could really use this big print surface working. I know in this time of a Pandemic this really is a first world problem but I am using these tools to try to help.

Thanks again Coat and as soon as I finish my coffee I will get those photos up.

I just checjked with a Marlin 1.1.9 printer. It is normal that the 0 blinks (position), not the letters as on your screen. So I should think the driver are also blown? You could test them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9qxrIv5ElE (other board but same principle)

Coat, you are the best! Thanks for the time and effort trying to trouble shoot this with me! Yes, 0 or a number value is what I also see on my Creality Printers not a blinking ? question mark alternating with the x y z axis letters.

Thanks for the link, I will test the stock drivers this afternoon. I am with you, I am leaning towards this has to be the problem. New A4988 drivers are ordered from amazon.ca and are supposed to be shipped? So I may be able to swap them out by weeks end but yes will test these ones that came on the original board to try to confirm they too are faulty?

Will keep you updated, thanks again! It would be nice to also put this printer to work making PPE...