MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Help / Ayuda

Please Login to Comment

Hello everyone, as I am new to this I do not have much knowledge about robotics.

I'm thinking about making a vertical axis wind turbine

https://images.ssstatic.com/aerogenerador-de-eje-vertical-1kw-eddygt-6032660z0-00000067.jpg

the problem that as it is a cheap plastic I do not think that it can withstand wind of more than 70Km / h I give you an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKb2nPdGSM

Well, I need a brake system for gear ... something that can brake the propellers automatically.
In robotics, how brakes are made for gear ... do you help me?

I made a scheme (good to the gross) of a possible solution, give me your opinion please thanks
Greetings Fefo

Hola a todos, como soy nuevo en esto no tengo mucho conocimiento sobre robótica.

Estoy pensando hacer un aerogenerador de eje vertical

https://images.ssstatic.com/aerogenerador-de-eje-vertical-1kw-eddygt-6032660z0-00000067.jpg

el problema que como es un plástico barato no creo que aguante viento de mas de 70Km/h te doy un ejemplo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKb2nPdGSM

Bien necesito un sistema de freno para engranaje... algo que pueda frenar las hélices en forma automática.
En la robótica como se hace los frenos para engranaje... me ayudas?

Hice un esquema (bien a lo bruto) de una posible solución, me dan su opinión por favor gracias
Saludos Fefo

Hello Fefo,

I also wanted to mention that a problem with putting a rapid acting brake on a turbine, is that the brake, and the turbine, and the tower, all must be able to absorb the brake forces applied to the turbine. If the turbine weighs very much, it has stored energy as it moves. If you stop it instantly, that force needs to be absorbed. You can get the idea by imagining a spring inside your brake lever, that would get compressed when it stops the turbine, however I don't think a spring is the right solution, I'm just using it as a tool to help you understand the problem. A larger issue than what you use as a brake, is what sort of system do you use to turn the brake on and off.

ok I understand but the wind turbine (factory) does not have a braking system, what I showed you in the video the brakes failed but it has to have a brake system like a device that costs thousands of dollars does not have a protection system.

One of the things that I could do then is to protect the turbines by lowering it from the roof or the tower when there is a lot of wind from an alarm to lower the towers

Turbine control is more complex than it may first appear. In an ideal turbine build, your turbine wouldn't stop every time the wind got too strong, but continue to run, but held to a safe maximum speed. This is easily (though not cheaply) accomplished with the correct electronics controlling the correctly matched alternator. These electronics have a valuable second function, they allow the turbine load (alternator) to provided different loads at different speeds. An unintuitive thing about wind energy, and turbines is that as wind velocity doubles (x2), the work energy available cubes (x8). So a turbine which has 200W available at 10km/hr will have 1600W available at 20km/hr! Complicating things is that if the turbine, with an ideal load (perfectly matched to maximum wind energy) is turning at 100rpm at 10km/hr, then at 20km/hr with an ideal load it will turn at 200rpm. This is frustrating because with most alternator/generators if you double the speed, you only double the Watts output. The way this is most often solved is by attaching an alternator which is 10-15% larger than the highest load you think your turbine can deliver safely. Then you use electronics to rapidly turn on and off the alternator, 100's of times per second. The electronics then leave it on different lengths of time, depending on the program you have added. Using electronic control to allow you to match turbine load to wind energy results in more than 30% more power captured. I'm happy to share more if you have more questions.

This is very good the data to share but the problem here is that when the turbine goes faster and greater strength comes a moment that this force will break the propellers, I know that these systems have a braking if the propeller does not turn for more wind that there will be no rotating force there and the propellers will not be broken (if it were a hurricane I will forget the brake, because there it will break all) but a storm can have more life ...

What I want to know how to make a braking system and the scheme that I gave you (it looks like a children's drawing) is the right one or there is another more ingenious system. Thank you for your comments I will keep in mind they are good data that you gave me thanks

The simplest braking system, which I have used very successfully on experimental turbines is a band brake. In essence just a rope secured to the turbine tower frame, and wrapped loosely around the shaft once, or more times (but it can become tricky to control with too many wraps). If you pull gently on the free end of the line (with a spring or your hand), it creates a lot a friction on the shaft. It can work too well, and stop the turbine abruptly.

there is!!!! this was looking for thanks drewrt

I'm glad it was helpful. Are you going to make drawings for your turbine? If so have you tried tinkercad? I generally use Fusion 360, but if you are just learning tinkercad might be a good way for you to think about how you are going to arrange the parts.

My suggestion is that you build a strong mechanical core, including bearings, alternator and brake, and be able to attach different blade types, so you can experiment. I've had good luck using car axles bolted together face to face, this gives you around a 2m straight very strong shaft, and if you wanted you might be able to use the car brake as your turbine brake.

The thin bladed helical turbine (invented by Dr. Gorlov in the 80's, in the USA) you showed was very popular for a while, but independent tests have shown that they are of low efficiency, they collect between 11-17% of wind energy passing through them. Good HAWT's of a similar size collect around 20-30%. Mine also has been tested in the 20-30% range and it's not American, it's Canadian :-).

This is the design of Dr Gorlov from about 1980. Dr Gorlov claimed to reach 35% energy capture, however subsequent review of his data did not confirm this, nor has anyone been able to reproduce it that I am aware of. The largest manufacturer of this design was UGE, however they have largely abandoned them for solar panels, after independent testing showed they collected around 15%.

What Dr Gorlov did was take the Darius/Davis turbine and twist it into a helix. It looks nice this way, but it is more difficult to manufacture, and has never been proven to be better than the Darius/Davis which has been independently tested to around 20-25% in sizes 1-2m dia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrieus_wind_turbine

but I have a doubt your design measures X: 86.54 Y: 86.52 Z: 196.90 mm: S and in the video shows one as 5 meters high when it is smaller the speed changes or it is not necessary to have a big one for a single house: D hehehehe I want to clarify that I'm thinking of using a car engine (the charge) and battery 12V also auto ... my use will be for the LIGHT, tablet, notebook, mobile, mini-refrigerator portable , car audio, 12V fan, alarms and USB 5V. I will not use it 100% but 40% I think of the whole house ...

I think I understand what you are saying, but am not sure. I will read it again tomorrow and respond again perhaps.

You are correct that a small turbine will not collect as much energy as a large turbine, and the smallest successful unit I built as about 2m tall.

When properly loaded it collected about 31% of the energy passing through it's swept area, which was about 250W or a bit less at 40km/hr if I recall correctly.

Unless you place it in a very very windy spot, it's not likely big enough. To determine what size you need (after you have decided on how much power you need), then find out how much wind you have. You will have online wind maps somewhere.

3.3 DIRECTION AND SPEED OF WINDS

The most frequent wind regime shows a marked predominance of the NE sector throughout the country.

The average speeds are of the order of 15 K / h, with an average maximum in the coasts of Colonia that reaches 27 K / h.

Winds above 100 K / h are frequent and the maximum recorded speeds are of the order of 200 K / h, such as the storms that occurred on April 16, 1914, July 10, 1923 and February 24, 1966 on the south coast of the country. Country.

http://meteorologia.fcien.edu.uy/Curuguay.html

Comments deleted.

I hope this makes someone in Uruguay a lot of energy, and a lot of money :-) . I would be willing to help. This invention of mine has not been successful for two reasons. I struggled to make the electrical side of it to work properly, and because of this I was taken advantage of by business people who have not managed it well. Rarely are inventors good business people :-[

good ready here in thingiverse and grabcad I have found several and some are from openscad, and this is yours that is as pretty as a girl ;)
now the next step is to print and test and I think I'll have to wait until the storm to see which endures more jajajajaja thanks drewrt and we'll be in contacts

If I have heard this story several times but this is for personal use I work in other things and I am not an entrepreneur and I do not care much about silver

yes :D thank you