MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

I'm looking for 3d modelling software that runs on a pi

software

Please Login to Comment

Never mind, got the hang of it. I love it now XD

You could use Tinkercad it's free and any device that you can connect to the internet will be able do it. (Tinkercad.com)

Tinkercad has issues on my raspberry pi. I use freecad now.

Freecad runs on the pi
I don't use it my self but I have tried it out on the pi running Raspian.

I use Fusion 360 which is free is you aren't going to make money off of anything. You can get it free by going to the trial section and clicking the apply for hobbyist.

Sorry - but I don't believe that Fusion 360 will run on the Raspberry Pi as the OP requested.

There is an online version of fusion 360.

Make some money if you want.. you are good up to 110k

The free Start-Up/ Enthusiast licenses allow you to access Fusion 360 with a yearly subscription after the trial period has ended. You can use this license if you are a small business making less than $100,000 per year (or equivalent), or if you're a hobbyist using Fusion 360 for non-commercial purposes.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-activate-start-up-or-educational-licensing-for-Fusion-360.html

Thanks for clearing that up. I was a little confused on the specifics.

Mod bot got my last one... my guess is, since you tried freecad, that you are after more powerful sketch based modeling (basic shape booleans aren't enough for your needs). Man, too bad those freecad devs are having a hard time with topo naming. When that comes around Freecad will be positioned to dominate non-pro 3d modeling. Until then, you can either learn to work around those limitations, or just invest if fusion 360.

Edit, sketchup can also be a decent alternative. I used to use that until there was a bug introduced that made it unusable unless you have a decent nvidia graphics card (I have intel hd4k). Since that happened, I tried all the freebies and settled on freecad. Nothing I can't do with it so far, but yeah not having topo names means you have to be careful referencing external geometry and adding fillets.

Okay so i needed to make something in 3d, so i went back to freecad and figured out how to rotate something and a bunch of other stuff. so i will go with freecad for now.
free download
V

Just curious what you didn't like about freecad? I don't like how the lack of topo naming means you have to be careful when referencing external geometry, and fillets cause similar problems, but there are ways around those problems. Other than that, freecad is very powerful for sketch based modeling (and occasional mesh work). Whenever the dev's get around to topo naming, freecad will dominate... so not a bad idea to get familiar with it ahead of time.

I used to like sketchup, but without an nvidia video card (just intel hd) it is too buggy for me to get anything done with it. Since sketchup started to be buggy for me, I adapted to freecad and haven't found anything I can't do with it so far. I tried tinkercad and the other common free apps before settling on fredcad. They are ok for models that can be done with shape boolean, but the sketch options didn't run 'deep' enough for most of the models I create. I come from a background of using full featured sketch based cad programs like acad and solidworks... freecad comes closer to that experience. Openscad has its uses (especially editing parametric scad files found on this site), but unless you are a coder, the freecad's built in openscad tools seem easier to use (imho). Autodesk does have excellent offerings (F360 is awesome), but their good stuff isn't free (not necessarily a fortune either, so worth considering for non-pro users too).

OpenSCAD ...I'm running it on Debian (which is what Rasbian is modeled after).

how do i install it?

If it's a package in Rasbian "sudo apt-get install openscad". Its probably not though...... There is an OpenSCAD forum on Thingiverse I'm sure one of them could help you get it installed properly.

it says:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install openscad
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package openscad is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'openscad' has no installation candidate

There is a known problem with running OpenSCAD on Raspberry Pi running Raspbian "Stretch". OpenSCAD will install and run well on Raspbian "Jessie". In Raspbian Stretch, there is a bug in one of the packages that OpenSCAD relies on, which causes the install to fail. (http://wuebker.com/openscad.html)

There are at least two workarounds to get OpenSCAD working on your Pi.

1) Install Raspbian Jessie, and then install OpenSCAD as per the commands that you've used before.

2) Remain with Raspbian Stretch, and compile OpenSCAD from it's source code by following the detailed instructions in the above link.

I hope that information is useful.

That means its not available in the repository. You can install it manually or if you just want to try it out there is an AppImage (easiest) on the download page that will work on the pi. Scroll down to where it says "Other Linux".

http://www.openscad.org/downloads.html

Here's some helpful links

https://cubehero.com/2013/11/19/know-only-10-things-to-be-dangerous-in-openscad/

http://www.openscad.org/cheatsheet/

If available, I am curious to see how productive it is given the processor and memory limitations. My i5-2500K desktop with 16gb ram is a bit slow for most of the things I've designed with it (with freecad/openscad). I wonder what type of modeling can be done on a pi... seems like a novel idea using the pi cpu, vs using one of the free cloud based web cad apps.

Tinkercad for simple designs. Fusion 360 for more complex designs. They provide a free license to tinkerers and hobbyists making less than 100k.

I use Fusion pretty much exclusively for my designs now. Pain to learn, but once you get it.. you are good to go.
My two cents.

Have you tried Onshape (onshape.com)? It runs in the browser so it is independent of the OS. I run it on Ubuntu but never tried on a Pi.

i will look into it.

tinkercad.com easy to use for just starting out in CAD and web based.

i have tried it but it is slow and crashes when i try to make something a hole.

Even using the latest Pi3, there are system limitations which you are against the wall on. what about putting Ubuntu on an older PC, and giving yourself a little more power to back your creativity? Most recently I took a 6yr old HP, and put the latest Ubuntu on it, instead of Windows, the system runs great using 4GB of ram, 120GB HDD, and the basic integrated graphics, with a simple USB wifi or hard line, and I also use a usb bluetooth and logitech keyboard and mouse. I have plenty of power to design, slice, program. I use one Pi3 for my Octoprint server, and another Pi3 as a portable radio frequency analyser, as well as an older Pi1B for a security camera/game camera. While the Pi gives some power and versatility, there are only so many things you can expect from such a limited package.

Comments deleted.

You can download sketchup, autocad inventor or autocad fusion 360 (fusion is very much worth it!).

Fusion 360 is not available for Linux.

I think you need the rest of the head. I still need to review some attachments for the skull but I should release it soon.

LOL.... look at the date. I've seen that happen on a few threads already.

how does it happen????????