I installed the newest ver of Cura and it did not have a specific profile for the Simple Metal. Does anyone know if one of the other settings works for the old Simple Metal? If so which one and what else do we need to edit i.e. bed size, heated bed y/n etc.
I am a mentor for a FIRST Robotics Club. Somebody donated a Printrbot Simple Metal rev F4 printer to the group and I was given the task to try and revive it and get it running. I am new to 3D printing and it has taken a significant amount of effort for me to try and find bits and pieces of information scattered across the web on how to setup the printer and try to get it running. I have not yet been successful. My current problem is that I can't get my computer (Windows 10 pc) to recognize that the printer exists when I plug it in. I don't know if the problem is on the PC side or the printer side.
Here is what I do know and have done:
- The green light on the board is on so I know it is getting power (good sign)
- The red light comes on the Z-axis sensor when I move it manually close to the bed (good sign)
- The fan on the extruder does not come on which some sites have said should happen when the printer is powered on (bad sign)
- I have installed Cura 15.04.6
- When I tried to install the serial driver it says "Windows 10 USB Device driver is present. No installation is necessary."
- I downloaded the "Microsoft Printrbot Metal Simple Printer Driver version 126.96.36.1993", but when I go to the Device Manager to update the drivers I cant find the printrbot device.
- I have tried multiple USB cords to see if I had a bad one
I'm not sure where to go from here and would appreciate any help.