MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Speeds and Acceleration control in slic3r

Please Login to Comment

Ord Bot Hadron - ramps1.4 marlin - Bulldog XL - E3dv6(shimmed) - Slic3r - pronterface
The hadron seems quite happy printing large perimeters at 70-80 (small 30%), infill and support at 50-60 for easy objects w/ multiplier up 150%
But more complex objects w/ small support structures or perimeters<3mm 40,40 & multiplier 70-30% still needed for the complex section - which is ruining overall time if i dont watch it and change the overall speed continually.
(really annoying on a 12hr print that was meant shorter - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:644370 - Skull only - jaw/skeletal hinge and start of internal faces was problematic).
I think acceleration control may help w/ this, or XYjerk, or....???.

so how do your Hadrons deal w/ speed for a mixed complexity object 0.1 layer height?

What general speed settings do you use(Slic3r)?

What 'cooling - slow down if layer print time below' settings?(pronterface doesnt seem to have the same layer calcs as slic3r)

What acceleration control settings?

Firmware settings if changed(marlin)- acceleration/XYjerk?<<probably what i need.

Other suggestions>

Skeleton (Snaps together and moveable)

Servus, my setting:

For a save print:
Perimeters: 40 mm/s
... till ...
Support Material: 40 mm/s
Bridges: 50 mm/s
Gap fill: 20 mms/s
Travel: 120 mm/s
First Layer: 15 mm/s

The most problem is the nozzle. To much speed, you have a fading (right english?), to much pressure in the nozzle. With a higher speed you have more pressure. Than you have wrong comming out filament.

If i want print fast, i set the infill till 80 mm/s becouse inside nobody see the errors. Outsite / Walls i print slow. In future i will cance to a bowden, becouse there is no so much havy to travel. -> see the bowden extruder -> i hope my Hadron works more acurate.

Hi there. I am not totally aware about all parameters that i had fiddled around with in slic3r.
But here is what i have and usually don't change ("Expert Mode" in Preferences is activated):

Printer settings->Advanced->Vibration limit: 10Hz
Print settings->Acceleration control-> all fields inserted "600" mm/s2
these tips changed OrdBots behavior from shaking and rocking all over the table to smooth and easy movement. I can imagine on cost of speed, but now it stays on the table.

At "Cooling thresholds" i left in the defaults (60-30-10)

Extrusion multiplier stays always at "1" with filament measurements after filament change at 10 different spots and the average diameter with 3 digits (like "1.727").

At Print settings->Extrusion width->First layer i have 200% and Top solid infill 97%

My speeds are a bit lower than yours. like perimeters: 40mm/s, infill and support 60mm/s, bridges 70 and gap fill 20. The rest has different percentages below 100%.

I use a 0.5 nozzle and min. 0.2mm layer height on a Merlin hotend. Smaller nozzles and layers tended to clog or scratch smaller details of the layer.

I might try the little Skeleton and report back with macro pictures

M.