MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Lets get some things posted!

Please Login to Comment

I am working on a design for a spark gap device as well as other devices for the Tesla coil.

Dangerous things Tesla coils. Even a small one can be deadly. Static electric machines are nearly as much fun and just give you a really bad hair day if you mess up and take a jolt.

Spark gaps are also broadband radio transmitters if you attach an antenna. Expect to hear the FCC knocking on your door if you are not careful.

Lookup spark gap transmitters circa 1887 - 1916.

Have fun and be careful.

indeed they can be deadly, high voltage is nothing to carelessly mess around with, I am aware and ground myself out even when I am just stripping a PC down. that is interesting about the radio transmitters, seems like it would be hard for anybody to pinpoint the exact location tho wouldn't it?

If anybody has any Tesla inspired items feel free to upload them! I got one that I am working on that should be done this spring.

I have my doubts as to the insulative abilities of a 3D printed plastic part. ABS absorbs moisture, which would increase its conductivity. Still there should be lots of bits and pieces that could be printed. There is the possibility that anti-corona lacquer would work, but I have no experience using it on a 3D printed part.

hmm anti-corona lacquer eh, what about rubber spray coating that would do the trick or possibly using spray foam to insulate some parts, most of the tests I have done with pla and abs usually show very little if any conductivity although test done have been at lower voltages nothing over 10kv. it would be interesting to go back and perform the same tests now that the parts are a few months old and see if there is a change in resistance.

It would be intersection to try them all and work up a comparison chart showing their effects on conductivity.

The voltages and frequencies present in a Tesla coil cause electricity to travel over the surface of a conductor. The effect is known as the skin effect.

Something else we had both overlooked is the possibility of just printing the parts in a ceramic material, glazing and firing them in a kiln. I have seen YouTube videos where people have 3D printed successful with ceramic and clay materials.

I built a Tesla coil back in highschool as part of a science fair project,. I would like to build a much larger one to investigate some of Tesla's claims that he had discovered how to push against space time and use that force for propulsion. Please keep me posted on your progress.