MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Working size vs rail length?

Please Login to Comment

If I want to print or mill or engrave something 2 feet ( or 610mm or whatever) long, how long do the metal tubes (rails, this term is carried over from other projects I have looked into) need to be to allow the working area to be that big?

This is to figure the size of an area I need to have this do what I need before I get started on the build. So, I have studded the Mechmate.org machine, and it is about 2 feet wider and longer than the cutting area. (To cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood, the machine takes about 6x10 footprint on the shop floor).

vicious1.com has a calculator to help you find this number. If I remember correctly, I think you have to add about 10.5" to x and y axis tubes.
The z tubes and threaded rod need to be about 5" longer than your z height. for instance, I have a 12" rod, and about 9" of z axis movement.

There's a link to a tubing length calculator on the thingiverse page. i don't know right off hand, but I went with the recommended 30 inch leangth and after adjusting my ends tops for tool size (print head). I have a viable work area of 440mm square. i can get a bit more out of it but I start to roll over the ties on the belt. workable I could easily get around 500mm if I shaved down my tool. I have fans and level proves sticking out the sides quite a bit. so you could probably get what your looking for at just under 4 foot rails. it really depends on your tool size.

There are calculators for it, and the default values are 11" on x ,and 11" on y. so a 2'x3' one is 35"x47"
http://stevecd.github.io/mpcnc_calc_react/#/?_k=d7memg