MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Z Wobble / Banding

Please Login to Comment

So I have been noticing a LOT of z wobble in my prints, and I was wondering if anyone had found a "quick fix" for this issue. I will continue researching this issue, and update if I find a working fix. All I know at this point is that its not a temperature or plastic quality thing.

EDIT: The z-rod I ordered worked! It must be an issue with bending on the threaded z-rod, and the replacement works just fine. I have only done a few prints, and only time will tell if this is a permanent solution.

FINAL EDIT: when I was re-assembling the Z-shaft, I noticed something odd about the stepper motor. It had some wiggle room if I didn’t tighten the screws all the way, but I didn’t think much of it. Today I was doing a print, and I noticed the z-wobble had come back a bit. So, instead of tightening the z-stepper mounting screws all the way, I left them just loose enough that I got that little bit of wiggle back. lol and behold, the wobble is gone. If anyone sees this, before buying a new z-rod, try loosening the motor and see if that fixes the problem.

PS: that’s the most times I’ve ever used “Z-“

I made this object (not mine), seems to have helped a ton...
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1864625

MP Select Mini X Gantry Support + Camera Mount [Reinforced and Realigned]
by svideo

I ordered a new threaded z-rod, so I will see if that fixes the issue. If not, I will definitely try your way. Thanks for the help!

ive noticed with the printer that this is a usual thing, if you can get a print for a z stabilizer for the monoprice it should fix or make this issue less notice able. try putting a weight on the furthest side of the arm, it seemed to reduce this issue a lot.

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks for the help!

Speed? Layer Height?

Ive tried everything on the settings side, it seems to be a hardware issue. I took my machine apart and noticed that the threaded z-rod was bent, so I ordered a new one. I have a refurbished model, so that could be why I had this issue out-of-box