MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

3D Printering Tips and Tricks for Engineering Design

Please Login to Comment

A forum to exchange tips and tricks used when designing engineering prototypes.

After discovering the challenge of printing on a non heated build plate, it became obvious what some of the problems were.

A clean dust free plate, and the solution was a tacky roller, the one I use is 6" wide.
A sticky plate is achieved by using a glue stick.
Printing with PLA most of the time this works pretty well.

The design consideration is the direction I might print the object. Avoid large open spaces if they are not critical to the function of the object. Ease of remove also a consideration. Using a heated build plate it is best to let it cool down first to room temperature before removing the object.
A cold build plate issue is making it stick, removal is simple, and best or easier if you have provided a edge, radius or chamfer at the bottom, once said you could move the world with a large enough lever, the radius and or chamfer provides that opportunity.

I have been using a cold plate for over a year now, and have had good overall results. I'm using an old 12"x12" bathroom mirror tile that I saved when remodeling one of my bathrooms. It was fabricated 70's or 80's (bought the house in 2002, and it was already there :D). I've been using Elmer's Purple glue sticks with very good success. I keep it on and simply supplement the coating after 10 or so prints or less. It's worked for PLA, ABS with 20-40mm brim, and PETG with 0-5mm brim, depending on the geometry.

I use Slic3r and always set the first layer to 0.3mm, and calibrate the stage to give me 0.25-0.30mm actual first layer.

Comments deleted.
Comments deleted.

permision to join..tq