MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

casting 3d prints

Please Login to Comment

so how a lot of custom jewelry is made, especially rings, is they start from a wax model, which is cast in plaster, melted out and replaced with a precious metal.

has anyone done the same with a hollow 3d print to cast something out of a non ferrous metal?

any tips?

Check out Myfordboy on YouTube. He prints the model and casts it in sand instead of plaster.

Not exactly - but I create molds of 3D prints with gelatin and cast them in resin. If I fill the resin with about 1/4 of metal powder, it looks and feels like metal.

You should be able to remove a step from this process if you make the mold itself on the 3D printer. I've done a similar thing to create a silicon rubber elbow.

I created the part in Fusion 360, then created a rectangular block a bit bigger than the part. Moved the part positive in the middle of the block then did a difference operation to make a negative void. Then I use the shell command to get the smallest possible wall thicknesses.

Then I split the mold into 2 halves so it could be printed without supports for the inside walls, and to allow it to be filled with 2-part silicon.

Mixed my silicon, poured into each mold half, put them together and rubber banded them to hold.

With a bit more work I could have probably made a single piece print instead of the 2 halves, with a hole for filling, but it was just a test. Once the silicon was all cured I broke apart the thin walled mold. Viola! Silicon rubber elbow.

ok now you really got my curiosity. since when is printing with gelatin a thing?

well id really like to see if anyone has tried actually casting metal objects from 3d printed blanks before i try my own experiments. the more mistakes i know people have made, the closer i am to success right?

Ok, I think I wrote it a bit wrong :-)
I print in PLA and create a gelatin mold from the printed object. Afterwards I cast with "metal filled" Resin. The gelatin has a low melting point, so it's not to cast real metal :-)
But I saw a few videos on youtube from people casting with the "Lost PLA" method. So you embed your printed object in casting sand - and when you pour the hot metal over it, the PLA wil burn away.
I never did this on my own, because I have no possibility to melt metal.