MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Metal Build Plate

Please Login to Comment

Recently, we tried to mimic Zortrax's aluminum, micro-perforated build plate on our TAZ5. The perforated aluminum plate we've used (as a topper to the borosilicate glass and heating element) has thus far been a spectacular failure, with nothing sticking to it, instead gathering up on the nozzle despite at least a half-dozen z-axis adjustments. Has anyone else tried modifying the build plate of the TAZ?

I went to Home Depot and bought a plate of glass about .125" in thickness and clamp it on top of my existing glass heat plate using office clips and I have never had a moments trouble with this method.

I went with just a piece of 3/16" aluminum plate glued the heat bed to the bottom then got a piece of buildtak. I find I have to level the center of the bed a lot more than I did before,but I have no issues with warping or parts sticking and breaking the glass anymore.