MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Temperature Issues

Please Login to Comment

Hello!

I have Issues with my JGAurora A5 where apparently the temperature of my hotend is ~30-40°C below what the Printer reports. This causes me to have to print PLA at 245°C (indicated) and making it impossible to print PETG since I can't exceed 250°C due to my current firmware limitations.

I suspect the thermistor to be at fault but I do not really know how to properly debug this. At room temperature, both the hotend and the build plate thermistors report within around 1% tolerance between each other, so how can it be that at higher temperatures the hotend seems to be so far off? I use a silicone sock on my hotend but the issue remains also when I remove it.

Edit: I do have a custom-fitted firmware (latest Stock firmware with adaptations for my BLTouch and hardwired defaults for the sensor offsets) but that should not be the issue as I haven't flashed for around 4 Months, however the issues developed only relatively recently (around 2 weeks ago) without any interference in the firmware.

That's common with lots of 3D Printers, but the A5 seems to be worse than most. Here's a video I made that walks you through calibrating the thermistor (not PID Tune). Hope it helps:
https://youtu.be/brl1weuD8bs

Great, thank you! I will definitely do that as I get inconclusive results printing overall, however it turns out the current problem was actually me being less smart than anticipated.
I never measured the hotend with my IR Thermometer so I did not know how much temperature drop to expect measuring this way. Just for lols I unloaded the PETG yesterday and just cut the first cm (there was a small blob of filament at the tip) and reinserted it and it started to work again. Apparently that little blob prevented the filament from ever entering the hotend properly, causing my issues.

Thanks a lot for that video!