MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Z Axys Leadscrew Lenght for Standard NEMA17 + Coupling option

Please Login to Comment

I am building a HCE for 300x300 bed with the extrusion lengths by the spreadsheet set for a 300x300x300 volume. This renders these lenghts:

4x 420mm 3030
6x 410mm 3030
4x 500mm 3030
2x 415mm 2020
3x 195mm 2020 (I'll put one in the middle to support the large bed).

ps.: Already ordered, so anything else should fit these :D

The Linear Guides (not ordered yet):

4x 400mm ø12mm
2x 410mm ø10mm
2x 450mm ø8mm

I will use the dual Z-Axys option but with standard NEMA 17 motors with couplers and lead screw. I know this will reduce my usable z length.

My question is: How should I specify the length of the lead screw to be sue I'll not hit the Y carriage?

Thank you.

The lead screw should be Z height + nut height + coupler height, assuming you have the lead screw abutting the Z motor spindle.
So, it looks like you need a lead screw of about 350mm. However, as you ask, will it actually fit inside the frame?

As the lead screws are not really required until near the end of the build, it would be better to build the HEVO without the lead screws, and add them at the end - that way you can measure the size you will need.

My plan is to do the same, but to also use a pillow bearing block to support the lead screw, rather than the motor and coupler.

"As the lead screws are not really required until near the end of the build, it would be better to build the HEVO without the lead screws, and add them at the end - that way you can measure the size you will need."

That is a kind of "Why the @#%$%@# did I not think of that before...??!!?" :D

That is good advice! Thank you very much!!!!!! :D

Haha ya good advice. Luckily or unluckily the first 4 screws i ordered arrived bent and so I decided to change the design and order longer ones.

Scott says to add 30mm to your build height if you use integrated lead screw (which YOU are not doing)

Warham has stated on the Facebook Group more like 10 or 15mm

If you use Scott's idea of z plus 30 that would be 330. But you need to subtract the motor shaft and coupler. I would guess that's around 15 to 20 cm. That suggests your lead screw will need to be around 310 to 315mm.

Thank you!

I should loose some printing volume but I find it better to use standard engines. They are cheaper and even cheaper if I need any maintenance at the Z axys.

i see its too late but maybe it will help other people... if you make your printer with one axis 10mm bigger than the other you wont need to have two different sizes of 3030 to keep track of.

I am talking about the Z axys lead screws lenght only. In order to avoid hitting the y axys carriages.

@ Warham . I never thought outside the square. Thank you. So increase 6x410mm to 420mm?

I'm not at home to look at Scott's excel sheet to know if it's the x or the y axis. But look at when you input the numbers. If you increase one of them by 10mm you won't need to order 2 separate lengths of x, y extrusion. You will only need 2 sizes of 3030 instead of 3.

That is another topic, but a very interesting idea as it simplifies a lot the BOM!