MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Model Question - Tree Canopy

Please Login to Comment

I am making a tree with a single piece removable canopy, which I thought would be nice because you could use it with or without foliage. Do you think it would be better to have the canopy pinned in place so that you have to get it in the correct orientation to put it on the model, or make it easy to put on and have it free spinning(no orientation)? Not a big difference but i'm having a hard time deciding.

pinned. less likely to get knocked off.
bonus points if you work in a way to put models in the tree too :)

Are you thinking of having a set of bare branches to put on when the canopy isn't there? I'd imagine that you'd pretty much need to have that oriented correctly, so a keyed slot would be better. If the canopy just slides down over the branches, then I think that it doesn't have an orientation would allow you to make the bare branches look better.

I think I'm going to try to completely hollow out the canopy and then add extra branches to fill the space. Otherwise, currently the branches stop at the canopy and the canopy sits on top as one piece pinned in place. When you remove the canopy the tree ends up looking a little weird with branches stopping at a flat plane.