MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Error when using Convert: Bad Allocation

Please Login to Comment

I am trying to bring a high poly model into Fusion. I converted the stl to a quad mesh using Instant Meshes, and am trying to use Convert to convert it into a T-Spline following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=167&v=aMZKgzBpodI
However, when I try to convert it runs for ~30min using almost 100% of my CPU, RAM, and disk until it throws a bad allocation error.
How do I fix this? Do I just need more RAM?
Thanks

Looks like you need more meat in that potato. Almost like there's not enough wampum in your necklace. Not enough metaphors in your sentences.

When dealing with meshes in F360, I usually only deal with netfabb and the meshes tab for remeshing/reducing. What's wrong with the usual mesh to Brep?

cant do normal convert mesh to Brep because it limits the triangles / facets to ~10K and my model has 1.2M and there is no way in hell i am reducing it to that low poly

What are you trying to accomplish that requires Fusion 360 to deal with such high res meshes?

I need to make a flat part of it wider. The part is buried in the model, and it needs to be flat, so tools like meshmixer cant really do that. So the goal is to throw it into Fusion and be able to easily widen it, or just trace it and extrude it wider.
Im in the middle of trying it with Solidworks because the 2018 version has a way to do exactly that, just waiting on my download to finish. (the 2017 version couldnt do it so i had to upgrade)

I just bought 16GB more ram, ill see if that helps. gets here tomorrow.

alright, apparently 32 GB of ram aint enough, or something else is up. It was chugging along just fine using ~20GB of ram, then it shot up to 99% and did an error, bad allocation again
Im using 3000MHz DDR4 for those curious

Could you perhaps import to Meshmixer then separate shells and make that internal support portion larger then recombine and make solid??

I just threw it into SolidWorks 2018 and it let my draw right on the stl. no stupid conversion, and no lag. It just worked. Solved my issue in like 30 min that i have been fighting with Fusion all week. SolidWorks for the win