MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Creaking Sound along X-Axis

Please Login to Comment

I’m getting a plastic creaking sound on my Creator Pro whenever my printer moves along the x axis.
See clip: https://youtu.be/17dguFsOjL0
My first thought was it was time to be lubricated. I have tried greasing the x-axis support rods to no avail.
Has anyone ever experienced this type of creakIng sound? These aren’t my normal 3D printers, so I don’t have tons of experience with them. Only brought them home from work to setup a COVID-19 Print farm while I left my larger printer at work.

If the y-axis drive pulleys are out of sync it'll make noise. Look at
https://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/print3d-ffcp.html#hint_align_y for a description of how to fix this.

I haven't heard this before, but my linear bearings did become noisier with use, and no amount of lubrication could reduce the noise. Maybe one of your bearings is shot or worn out. The only remedy is to replace the bearings. I replaced mine with Igus DryLin bearings, which are basically just pieces of low-friction plastic, no moving parts so no noise.

I agree. I replaced mine the same, although I also replaced the rods with carbon fibre as it reduces weight quite a bit. You may find that a clean of the rods (they do look a little mucky on the left end) and some light lubrication will help. However, moving to Igus bearings does save a lot of hassle.

They're a bit of a faff to fit on the FFCP, so if you're going to do it, I suggest doing the Y axis ones at the same time.

Also, the FFCP uses a short version of the LM8UU standard bearings for which Igus don't make a direct equivalent. If you look at my designs, though, I have produced a jig for this. You simply clip the bearings into the jig and cut off each end with a junior hacksaw.