MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Lighting Enhancement

Please Login to Comment

I had a 12V automotive 15 LED strip with 3M sticky backing nicely lined up under the headpiece of my A8. The wiring was dead easy, loomed straight into the two corner terminal posts for +12V and GND.

However, despite the nice psychedelic mood glow in the corner of the room, it cast the shadow of the hot end carriage and X bars precisely over the print job, more than mildly disappointingly.

So just now I demoted the LED strip to the garage and brought in one of 10 6-SMD LED festoon lamps I got for $1 on eBay. I tested for polarity on my bench supply and determined that the end with SMD resistor hiding in one of its hollow metal contact ends was the negative, cut a scrap of light single-core multi-strand speaker wire in two, stripped the ends, jammed them into the festoon contacts with press-fit aluminium foil and fashioned a small cable clamp from a piece of champagne cork wire (nice gold colour, no sense throwing it away!), which is anchored by the existing main board post nut.

From there to the terminals was a matter of centimetres, and, tucked in a recessed edge of 1 cm, it illuminates just where I want it without spilling in my direction.