MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Wood Filament Nozzle

nozzles Wood_Filament

Please Login to Comment

I got some wood filament for Christmas, but am unsure which nozzle type to purchase.
Ruby is too expensive ($90)
stainless steel is cheaper, but will wallow out faster than higher grades.
I know I can't use a brass for it.
(i have this: https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Printer-Filament-1-75mm/dp/B018MG4SK6)

Stainless is not a good material for nozzles, it's a relatively poor conductor of heat. Carbide would be ideal, but I've never seen carbide nozzles for sale. Brass is your best bet, just replace it often. They're cheap enough if you buy 10pcs from China.

You can safely print wood filament with a brass nozzle, you only need to be prepared to replace it fairly soon. Wood is abrasive. Also, you should not go smaller than 0.4mm diameter otherwise you will have lots of clogs.

Common statement on reddit 3dprinting is to use a hardened steel nozzle, like the Microswiss nozzles. Some redditors also stated that they print with brass nozzles as the cost for replacing them is less than the cost of hardened steel nozzles calculated over the use time.

Reddit also recommends not to use ruby nozzles. They received very bad reviews.