MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Design Creation Question(s)

123D_Design fusion_360

Please Login to Comment

How would I create a design for the part in the picture? Meaning the curves. How to create then. How would I get the right angles and such?

I would keep things simple. it sounds like you are trying to learn the software and create this part at the same time. I have been in the same boat. I found it easier to start with a simple block and then remove the parts of it you don't need rather than try to design a complicated shape in a single sketch or drawing depending on the software you are using. you can probably make the shape with just a couple of extrusions or stretches (again depending on the software), but in the beginning it is easier to learn the simple operations rather than trying some of the more complicated operations. its probably a slower process to do things this way, but if you try to do things too fast I find people get discouraged.

Just start with your block and then cut one feature at a time until you get what you want. like I said slow but it will be less frustrating for you. you still need to measure carefully when duplicating and object like everyone says, but worry about 1 feature of the object at a time and before you know it your part will be done.

I have created several things in Fusion 360 and 123Design. I'm no expert. Fusion 360 has an enormous amount of features. There are some things that I'm new at like the curves and some angles I mentioned above. I'm looking for new tips, examples and such. As far as the complex stuff, I feel that one way is baptism by fire. Practice, practice and such.
Thanks for your advice though. I appreciate it.

How would I make the two circles into one object? (in the attached photo). Any links?

For future reference for anyone who had the same question as I did.
It involves 'concentric lines' Below is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7HWTBn5WDM

Ive been on that quest for some time, cut with other responsibilities, necessities and work, but that video is very useful and exactly the part i was missing to do my... elongated elliptical unequal symmetric ... thingie. Thank you very much.

It is very tricky to do the curves and similar stuff. Takes quite some time to figure out in Fusion when just starting with it. Btw, i think the right term is "co-centric".

Patience and coolness.

The trick is to decide how to break down the part into simpler objects. Ultimately, you want to have several 2D drawings that are stretched or rotated into 3D objects that are added together or subtracted from each other to create the complete thing.

I second the recommendation of using instruments to measure the existing part. I like to use an electronic digital caliper and a square head metal protractor. For example https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GSLKIW and https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Square-Metal-Protractor/dp/B00004T7TB. With the caliper you can measure outside distances and diameters, inside distances and diameters, and depths of holes. With the protractor you can measure angles.

I've attached some images to give you an idea of the process. I'd start by modeling the flat part with the holes in it and the circular part. The attached image "example2D.jpg" shows how I might model the 2d version of those two pieces. "example3D.jpg" shows the result of extruding (stretching) that 2D drawing into 3D.

Once you've created that part, you can sort of drill holes in it in the CAD application by creating a drawing of the 4 bolt holes and subtracting that drawing from the flat part. The file "3DwithHoles.jpg" shows the first step in making those holes.

I'd recommend first creating a thing that has the general shape you want, then making all the measurements to make the shape exactly the same as the physical thing you're copying. It usually takes me 3 or 4 cycles of "measure, design, print, measure the print" to get a shape correctly sized.

Good luck!

Here is a part I just recreated. It's a little less complex than the one mentioned above in the attachment but there were some challenges for me. The recreated one is in white (PETG), the black one is the original part. The boneheaded mistake I made was the direction of the top piece which doesn't match the original. So, its back to the drawing board. Getting the top piece to the right angle will be a challenge for me.

Thanks for the information. I guess that the execution of how to start is slightly fuzzy, but I understand your point. thank you.

use a photo scanner and import the photo in to the cad software and a canvases as reference

I don't have a photo scanner. I have not researched them yet. Do you have suggestions?
Thanks for the information.

researched what? a photo scanner ? they been around for along long time! I didn't mean a 3d scanner.

Is there just one? If so, there is no research. But if there is more than one, then I would think there are pros and cons....correct?
Maybe, I'm misunderstanding what a photo scanner is.

Even the cheapest are good enough, because scanning a photo is very simple and tech has been around for a long time. Just get one from a well known company, like HP for example and youll scan photos easily.

I would create sketches in software like freecad, 123d design, or inkscape. After that I would extrude them. Actually, I would create two. One with the depression one without it. Then combine the two extruded pieces side by side.

I'll give it a shot. It's the execution of some of the more complex angles. But thank you. I can perform simple stuff, but its a learning curve.

You just need to take your time with good measuring tools (Caliper, steel ruler etc) and draw it all out on paper. Radii can be defined by finding where 2 tangents of the curve meet at the centre point, angles can bed found by using the X & Y Distances.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you have to look at one face of the part at a time and just get in there and measure everything to create a 2D sketch of each face and then combine those 2D sketches into a 3D model.

Yes, I have digital caliper(s). It's the curves and trying to get them as close as possible. Its the execution of how to do the curves. Do you have a link to approach this?
Thank you for the information.

Print yourself one of these to measure radii too. https://www.thingiverse.com/make:298436

Fillet Gauge

It doesn't have a download button.

Sorry, that was my make(shameless plug!), someone else designed it, they deserve the credit!: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1184315

Fillet Gauge
by TnaTmr

That's pretty nice. Never even would have occurred to me to make something like that. I just may have to make one for arc's as well. they are just a much of a pain to measure.

Nice!!
Thank you.