MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Best extruder setup?

bowden bowden_extruder extruder

Please Login to Comment

So for the past 2 years I've been using a bowden extruder setup similar to this (http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/5/4/2/9/5/webimg/841177649_o.jpg)
For what it's worth, it works ok, but I just feel like since it was a cheap chinese kit, there's better out there.
Any suggestions? :)

Also, I'm thinking about moving my motor to kind of a halfway point from an extra rail, since my printer has 1 meter tower rails.
I feel like that much ptfe tube is creating a LOT of friction and leading to way more jams than needed.

the extruder you have wright now is fine but if you like to spent some the money buy the e3d titan or if jou like to spent nothing, 3d print one

to prevent friction try putting a drup of vegetable oil on your filament filter (if you have no filament filter try printing this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:492067)

Universal Filament Filter and Lubricator

In the month of meantime since I originally posted, I've joined a delta group on facebook and made two purchases.
An e3d Titan and Capricorn PTFE which has a tighter tolerance but is composed of a special blend that makes it more slick.
The two are absolutely phenomenal! Anyone looking to upgrade and still want to Bowden setup, buy those two.
Went from ~30mm/s to ~120mm/s print speed. Also, the group seems pretty religious about "flying extruder" setups, cutting down the travel distance of the Bowden setup and making it a lot closer to a direct feed, helping oozing and stringing.

make sure you buy some replacement bearings for the titan extruder and replace them as soon as you can. E3D is having major issues with the bearings in their extruders over the last 6 months and the one that showed yesterday has bad bearings the same as the one I got 3 months ago. They are cheap and easy to replace fortunately, the size of the bearings are 5x9x3 mm in size. You will also find the Capricorn PTFE tubing has a smaller outside diameter and will back its way out of the extruder over time, you can glue it in or just bang the end on the table a few times to cause it to flare the end out a little and make it grip better.