MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Concept-car model print issue

Please Login to Comment

Ok so first of all i want to clarify if i am in the correct group asking this or if i should direct elsewhere. Im asking here because i own a Cr-10 300 and will be printing with that. I drew a concept car bacxk in the days when i was 16-17..and i just recovered this model. I would LOVE to ttry and print a scaled model of this as the option of realizing dreams became ALOT more available with the 3Dprinters. Would it be enough if i simply welded the shape together at the surface....then choose all supporting devices that are needed...and try a print? I`ve only tried printing pretty basic shapes and geometry so far. :s Im trying to "simplify it in accordance of topology so far.

This is how I split my car models for 3D printing:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2834288

Might help!

The advantage of having separate parts is to have different settings for different parts, plus different colors if so wanted.

That will require however editing your car model to separate all different parts and create joints, taking into account wall thickness for 3D printing.

Dodge Charger 1969

Would need to see stl have you made a page here? maybey make it solid in meshmixer then hollow with 3mm walls is what I would do really need to see how it slices with different methods first.
Rims is the only problem I see so far from photos. Supports should be fine with standard slicer.

I`ll prepare an STL then go back to the model after troubleshooting that. ill post it up tomorrow. bedtime (mommy says) PS...i was hoping to print it in several parts if i got the stl properly down..then i can choose alot more options for the prints...right?

Well once you get it parted up as .obj or stl. you would then be able to have many options either editing and or slicing. If the plan is to 3d print.