MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Switch to use on an alternate hotend. Better suggestions wanted

Please Login to Comment

Hi Geeklings and Geekettes.
So ive bought an extra hotend extruder...the red thingy with the element and nozzle and heatblock attached to it. I was maybe thinking id splice my way in on the original wires so i dont have to mess around inside the Control *Box too much, and then just make a bracket to "hang" the newer hotend on while im using my "daily hotend which goes for everything.

I want to use the new hot-end for more specific stuff as foodsafes and other applicants. But by splicing myself onto the original wires, both hotends would heat up even though oen is not in use.

Could i maybe find a alternating switch which sends power onwards to the hotend of my choice and use right there and then or are there better suggestions maybe?

In yourcase i woud switch to a SKR V1.3 Board - It can handle 2 Hotends and Extruders...

Uhhmm...the main thread says i have 2 new comments but i can only see my OP and the one im posting now :s What the deuce :s

Easiest and safest thing to do would be to unplug and switch hot-ends as necessary, you really don't want a hot end dangling around without thermostatic control or a fan. An XT60 plug or similar would be fine.

Unplug as in? not splice but use some sort of terminals or connectors instead?

Aaah i can see it now. probably just lagging servers :)

Jesus i am a complete slowbo. im already using this VERY method to switch between using 1x or 2x fans...EXACTLY the same. Why didnt i just implement that on the hotend aswell hahah Sometimes i just...blank out! Thanks guys :) and sorry