MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

CR-10 Extruder replacement?

E3D_v6 extruder nozzle

Please Login to Comment

I am wondering if it is possible for me to replace my current extruder head and nozzle with a different model, like an E3D volcano end or an E3D v6 extruder? if this has already been discussed then please redirect me to that in a reply.

I second what tlhlntoq suggests with the drop in Microswiss. I switched my out last year and have no problems printing ABS and nylon on the printer now. It can be a bit messy at first if you don't heat the extruder assembly up the right way to seat the nozzle but its really worth it. I replaced the stock sheet metal cover and cooling fan with the Fang mod but its not required. The drop in Microswiss all metal extruder does drop right in place and allows you to print at much higher temperatures, like 275c or higher.

Personally I order Microswiss with each printer and install it during the initial build. Made in the USA, all metal, titanium heat break. And a drop-in-replacement on the Creality line as well as Tronxy line - making it dead-nutz simple and all the printers interchangeable for parts and nozzles. If they didn't work ALL DAY, every day, every print, every material I wouldn't recommend them.

Ok, thanks for the response!

Creality CR-10 E3D V6 Mount Dual 40mm Cooling

Most hot ends can be upgraded just need to take into account the voltage the heater cartridges and thermistors. Also unless you're going to use your stock versions of these and just change hot end. You will need to reasearch and print the correct mount. Your firmware will have to be modified accordingly. But the simple answer is yes they can. There are all kinds of videos on youtube on this very thing. I will say the only real reason I would change is if your wanting the ablity to use more types of filament. I wouldnt just upgrade to be doing it. There is alot of work and knowledge involvded but it is a great learning exp and will teach you alot about your machine and alot about how paitient you are.

upgrading to an e3d v6 hotend significantly increased my print quality, especially when printing with PETG. I lowered the retraction distance from 5mm to 2mm with no stringing.

Edit: I don't know if only changing the hotend is worth it tho. I myself also changed to a 32bit controller board, AC heatbed, BLTouch and Trinamic Drivers.