MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.
I have a CR10S5 and it seems after a print of over 4+cm tall or after several smaller prints the right hand Z needs to adjusted down anywhere from 4-8mm. The S5 has the dual Z stepper motors. My prints turn out great after I disable the steppers and adjust the right hand side back down to match the left side. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
loosen off and retighten the couplers...I found one screw had loctite on it but was not tight on the stepper motor
You might try a bit of foam around the coupler on that side. Foam around the coupler and over to the Z bar would add resistance to turning when powered off, but should still be easily overcome by the motor when powered. To the coupler since it has the larger diameter and would be easier to add some drag to free turning. The other no mod idea would be simply change your end code to center the gantry, so the weight is on both sides and the load is split evenly and less likely to lose steps when powered off.
Of course best overall is probably to belt/gear the shafts together, but that's a little more involved.
This was the first thing i noticed on my S4, , more than a year ago. The reason is pretty simple, when the motors are off all the weight of the extruder and the X motor is on the left and nearly nothing on the right. The Z-axis motor(s) just slowly start to turn when un-powered, but mostly on the heavy left side, of course.
Then when you zero /home your axis, the left lead-screw reaches the limit switch sooner than the right, so you have to adjust the right down by hand.... My solution is to make a counter balance, with 2 small pulleys , a weight (approx. 850 grams) and a nylon string. That keeps my X-gantry level. For check I printed 2 gauges off Thingiverse to see if the X-gantry is indeed level to the base-frame. There are other, more rigid solutions with belts and gears, but they need more tweaking.
Thanks to everyone for the input! I will check these out when I get home tonight.
Hello, are you experiencing this same explained behaivor as this here?
CR-10S, S4, S5 Dual Z Threaded Rod Sync found on #Thingiversehttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3109520
I have the same issue/situatuon in my CR10S4.
But it is not after every print, so I do not understand why and when exactly the small z-shift happens.
I also measure manually the height on both sides before starting a print.
I am considering to try out the "Rod sync fix".
I don't have a CR10S5; I have a CR-10S, but if it's like mine, it sounds like the left Z motor is losing steps. I don't know why it would be binding. The left side doesn't have an eccentric to loosen the rollers. Maybe the tolerance on the bracket are off or it was assembled too tight. Maybe the bearings are gummed up. Maybe the motor is just shot. Is the coupler to the threaded rod slipping?
You can try putting two objects with identical height underneath the x-axis beam so that the rest on the horizontal "chassis" of the printer, then loosen the eccentric nut tensioner on the right hand side, then loosen all the screws holding the wheels to the frame. Turn the leadscrews so that the x-axis beam is level with the objects placer underneath. Finally tighten all the screws and the eccentric nut but I don't know which order to tighten would be more logical. If this fails to make any difference you can try buying some anti-backlash nuts to replace the original. I think they are named T8 anti-backlash nuts or something. Also it is possible that the left hand side of the z-axis is binding severely,
I was surprised that this problem has not yet been discussed.
It is not due to the one-sided weight of the X-unit.
All printers can handle it.
It is also not due to step losses of the Z-motors.
The CR-10 was not originally designed for 2 Z-spindles. Therefore the problem does not occur there, or one does not notice it.
With two spindles two faulty designs appear.
The spindles have steep threads (8mm).
This thread is not self-locking. If the motors are switched off, the x-unit can be pressed down on one side with light finger pressure.
So no matter how exactly I level the X-beam, the strained, inclined x-unit always takes the inclined position.
So what can you do.
If the height difference is not too big (in my case max. 0.5 mm), you can force the x-unit into position with a self-locking spindle. A spindle with a pitch of 2 mm should be sufficient. I took M5 (pitch 0.8 mm) because I want a simple flexible coupling using a fuel hose.
So I managed to keep a maximum height difference of 0.02 mm permanently.
Regardless of this problem, there's a third misconstruction. A second bearing of the spindle at the top is nonsense. This constraint leads to another over-determined system.
The constraint is further increased by the use of rigid couplings. I don't know why Creality doesn't use flexible couplings anymore.
When you remove the bearings you will see how much the spindle wobbles. This is not only due to the crooked spindle but probably also to the bad alignment to the motor.
On Thingiverse, a lining plate is shown, so that the motor comes further back.
My motor had to go further forward, so that it aligned.
This is a sign of manufacturing tolerances that are far too large and must be recognized and taken into account.
I have reported about these and other problems in detail in this forum:
For translating I recommend https://www.deepl.com/translator