MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Specific Car Parts - Mini Cooper

car mini Mini_Cooper parts practical

Please Login to Comment

Hey guys,
so i have been looking far and wide for specific car parts, on all 3d and Cad sites, cannot find them anywhere, since i do own a CR10s and can print large parts, but can't design for Sh*t,at least with my laptop and mousepad, im looking for a mirror cap, tried to get it off a modeled R56 CAD, with very little luck to get it into a printable shape. and since Mini has introduced the Mini yours 3d printed (i know, proprietary disgns) side scuttles and stuff, been looking for those.

how do you guys go about making stuff that needs to fit something that already exists? the mirror caps are a (for me) fairly complex shape since it cannot be revolved off a simple shape and to get the dimensions right it not easy.

would love to hear your approaches to something like that, id love to go about designing exterior parts for example

You start learning AutoCAD.
You can learn AutoCAD at home, it's not easy and not too difficult, if you can spend a few hours per day on this, you will be master within a few months.

First, you should understand workspace, tools, menus, icons, etc.
Start with Opening a drawing, use a pen, polar, save, plot, etc
Now start using basic 2D tools like, Line, Polyline, Polygon, Rectangle, Circle, Arc, Erase, Fillet, Chamfer, Join, Trim, Dimension, Match, Copy, Text & Mtext Cut, etc. Keep practicing to improve your knowledge by a few exercises daily.
Also, try to use the above tools with the command line input.

There is no shortcuts, you just have to learn a good CAD package. I use Fusion 360 to produce my designs. There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube.

Couple of tips to help match an existing part. A good Profile gauge can be used to get the contour of a small parts, then use it to transfer the shape in to your CAD package. Alternatively if you have a document scanner, then you can scan the outline of an object. Then import the image as a background in to the CAD package. Once you have it, scale as required (take a dimension off a part), then trace it using the spline tool.

Either approach will give you a profile, from which you can do a number of operations to turn it in to 3D. For example with two profiles you can extrude one along the other (extrude along a path), or use the loft variants commands

For you specific example

1. Scan each of the end faces and the side profile on a scanner / photocopier
  2. Import the image (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/getting-started/caas/screencast/Main/Details/3c06b10b-f36f-4acb-8a6c-7c48b1882174.html), and trace each in Fusion 360
  3. Use the Patch loft function - https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/getting-started/caas/screencast/Main/Details/26a71cde-a391-4c8a-b923-a20848059074.html
  4. Use the Shell command to get a thin wall shape - https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/how-to-create-a-shell/td-p/6288602
  5. Design the clips separately using a Profile gauge / calipers to get the correct dimentions
  6. Glue or solvent weld (if using ABS) to produce the final design. You