MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Replaced a defective hotend, now it printed very bad

bowden_hotend

Please Login to Comment

Hi,

My hotend had an issue. The PLA sticked to the hotend extruder and it ruined it.

I replaced the hotend with the spare included in the box. The prints are very bad. I leveled the bed and the rod with a calliper. Everything looks normal.

I can extrude easily when I use the option "filament in" on the menu.

My firmware is Marlin 2.0

What could cause this issue?

1. The bed should be leveled with a piece of paper. Anycubic has some useful video tutorials.
  2. Firmware Marlin 2.0?! Yes, for an expert user it gives advantages - otherwise I can imagine a few wrong parameters with chaotic final results - another way to describe what I have seen in the pictures.

Oh okay, the last picture suggests you got some space between Heatbreak and Nozzle. Of course you need to clean the mess in the gap. One relatively quick way would be to dismount everything and burning the heatblock with some kind of bunsen burner, so the PLA gets carbonized (better do this outdoors). And brush the ashes off, after it cooled down. When you reassemble, make sure the heatbreak touches the nozzle firmly.

Hi lukeone, the picture is the old hotend, I replaced all the kit. The issue occured after the replacement. Thanks for the tips!

Hi Jedduff,

seems like its clogged somehow then.
First I would check if the nozzle and heatbreak are free.

Did you use a heatbreak with PTFE inliner before? PLA doesn't work that well with all-metal heatbreaks.

Is the filament slightly swollen over the heatbreak? Sometimes you can get a heatcreep, and expanded filament gets swollen and stuck.

I would recommend to check if the heatbreak sits on the nozzle correctly nevertheless.