MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

where to make designs

Please Login to Comment

hey everyone i am new to all things 3D printing. i was wondering what people use to make their designs? ive been on tinkercad and just wanted to know what eles people use.

thanks

Hi, I have 2 Megas, use Tinkercad too and have made several complicated designs with it from scratch. I have no intention of moving to another program as it does everything I need quickly. It takes time to find your way round it though e.g. I found the hidden shape generators after months of Tinkering. Don't expect the design you make on the platform print perfectly the first attempt, download the parts you have created and upload them back in to make alterations. Youtube tutorials help when you are a novice, hope that helps.

Jump straight into Fusion 360, there are some great youtube channels out there to get you going. Lars Christensen is a great one. Welcome to a whole new world...

If you just want a list of programs that people commonly use, one place to start would be to just go in to edit your Thingiverse profile, and there is a pull down menu where you can select which design tools you use which has a pretty good list. As for which tool is best for you, I think that depends on a number of factors such as: budget, past experience, how much time you're willing to invest in learning something new, what types of things you want to design (ie: functional parts, or art)

If you have a programming background, OpenSCAD might appeal to you... it's very similar to learning a high level programming language. If you want something simple that won't take too much time, maybe TinkerCad or 3D builder. For functional parts, I'm having good luck with Fusion 360, but for an artist I think people use other tools like Blender, Meshmixer, etc. If money is no object, you could look at some of the paid programs like Solidworks which I've never tried but heard good things about.

Personally I started with 3D Builder because it was already in Windows 10, but very quickly started finding it too limited, so I moved to Fusion 360. There was definitely a learning curve involved, especially since I was moving from direct modeling in 3D Builder to parametric modeling in Fusion 360, and I'm still learning things about it, but I'm no longer feeling held back by the software, so that's a good thing. I might eventually play with OpenSCAD to try to make things for the Thingiverse Customizer. I dabbled a bit with Sketchup and Tinkercad but not enough to really have an informed opinion.

Thanks for your reply. there just so much info on printing techniques but i never heard of were people were coming up with their designs.
I will try some of your suggestions out.
thanks again

For simple things, Sketchup is the fastest to learn and use, but it has limits. Real CAD like Fusion 360 requires much more learning time, but gives you much more possibilities.