MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Fan potencies vs quietness

Please Login to Comment

Well... I've been modding my i3 mega-s and tried to follow the silent fans path. But I got worried about choosing the wrong fans, and getting things too hot, and went after some specs to know what potencies should I look for. So i found this image: https://cdn.thingiverse.com/assets/77/29/23/94/b2/Ai3_fan_pic.jpg ; and with this calculator: https://convert-formula.com/a-v-w bought some Sunon fans that are not as quite as quiet I was expecting (even louder than anycubic's). Did some research and realize the quiet fans (like Noctuas) are much lower potencies (0.6W) than advised on that picture. For an instance, the mega-s drivers/MB fan is 0.8w and I got a 1.3w one which pushes much more air, but is considerably louder. Having installed TMC2208s I'm concerned about proper cooling on the drivers.
So, do quitter fans run drivers hotter? Should I even be concerned?
Another point: the overall quietness of the printer boils down to the part cooling fan, doesn't it?
I'm installing a 50mm 3.8w blower fan to get the best overhangs possible, which is not as noisy as anycubic's one, but it certainly is not quiet at full speed.
And finally: is it possible to regulate speed on those fans via firmware or such (like how we do with the part cooling fan)?

What I bought:
drivers: SUNON KDE1205PHV1 50x15mm 1.3W
PSU: SUNON KD1206PHB2 60x15mm 1.9W
hotend: SUNON HA40101V4 40x10mm 0.8W
Part cooling: Blower Centrifuge BFB0512HH 50mm 3.8W

Hi,

My take on this is to replace the drivers fan with a larger 100mm Noctua, so the whole driver area gets cooled. And the bigger fan compensates the missing rather aggressive airflow of the little original one. The cooling effect overall is much better.

My hotendfan is replaced with a NoctuaA9x14 since years and its working fine with daylong ASA prints on 250°C on both v5 and v6 hotends.

My PSU fan is a Sunon too, cause i couldnt find a directly fitting Noctua. The Sunon is a bit loud, but working fine. Maybe im going with a printed PSU Cover to use a larger Noctua to get the same effect I have with the drivers fan.

And by the way im printing in a closed preheated chamber, so the overall stress is higher then usual. Everything is working thine though with my mentioned fansetup.

I have ordered some EBM Papst fans to test against the noctuas. I'll post my testing results after.

Hope this helps a bit, even if i didn't post the according numbers. :)

EDIT: Oh and remember, the wattage isn't saying everything about cooling potential. Rather look for airflow and static pressure specs.

Sure! But many times is hard to get the datasheet on those fans.
Unfortunately Noctuas are out of the question for me (pretty expensive). I'll measure my part cooling blower fan noise and make it the threshold for the other fans.
I've just updated to marlin 2.0.5.3 to use M710 (controller/drivers fan settings to make the fan quiet when i need), but it seams this is not available for this printer, or it's not enabled on the hex file.