MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Planning to print PETG for first time, any special requirements?

Please Login to Comment

Hello all,
New to 3d printing and I've been tinkering a bit. I'd like to print a new housing for the hotend and I'm planning to use overture PETG. I've read that there may be special considerations when printing PETG on a glass bed. Is it safe to print PETG directly onto the ultrabase, or should I put down a layer of painters tape first?

Thanks!

When I print PETG with the ultrabase, I just put the hotbed at 90°C and the hotend at 250°C and it does the job perfectly

As far as printing directly onto the ultrabase goes, that was my biggest problem with PETG. I couldn't get prints to stick to it even with brims, no matter how well the bed was cleaned. I know some people had the opposite experience with it sticking too well, but it probably depends on the brand of PETG and other stuff. The way I solved this was with painters tape as you suggested. It made all the difference! After that, I was able to continue printing with the bed at 60°C without any problems. I actually used masking tape instead of blue painters tape, but it worked perfectly anyways. Good luck with experimenting!

Below covers pretty much all... my 2 cents

• no bridging then keep part fan at 0%
  • Watch first layer like a hawk with tweezers at the ready
  • Use purge start code

I get it to draw a single line near the front.. I add this near the bottom of my start gcode
G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length
G1 X5 Y5 Z0.25 F1000.0 ; go intro start pos
G1 X60.0 E9.0 F600.0 ; intro line to prime extruder
G1 X100.0 E16 F800.0 ; intro line
G92 E0.0 ; reset extruder distance position
G1 F{travel_speed}
M117 Printing...
G5

I find this much better than using skirts

Also don't get disparaged at first... PETG is a pain in the butt but once dialed in it makes really strong clean prints.
Lastly if you find a manufacturer that works well... keep ordering the same brand as you will get crap filament from time to time until you find a good brand.

there are three important settings for printing petg that are different from printing pla -> travel speed twice the speed, fan cooling half the speed, temperature 20 % higher, thats it, just try for yourself

Its safe to print PETG.
-Make sure the base is clean (IsoPropylAlcohol)
-Heatbed at 80°C
-~20mm/s first 2 layers
-~50-70mm/s others
-~120mm/s Travel (also first layer)
-Printtemp 235°C
-Coasting on
-for the start and HotEnd use, use 85%gyroid infill. It allows to have slight errors in extruder calibration.
-recalibrate Extruder, as the material is softer than PLA wrt Extruder-marks
If you print Transparent, print slower and 100% infill

I like PETG a lot.
Mostly I use 15%gyroid infill, 2 layers bottom, 4layers Top.

On my Anycubic mega S, I am printing 90% of things from PETG (mostly DevilDesign from Polland). You can see some of them if you review my published things here.
My secure settings is bed 90°C, printing temperature 235°C, retraction 4,2mm, skirt 20mm/s, minimal skirt length 150mm, first layer 10mm/s, other layers 30-60mm/s by position (30mm/s is used for outer and top layers, 45 - 60 for internal parts). No cooling at start, from layer 5 cooling 40%.
It keeps well on Ultrabase, cleaned before printing by IPA. To easy remove finished thing, it is required to left ultrabase get cool. Used layer heigth 0,15 - 0,3 dependent of printed thing. For 0,15mm layer heigth I am using first layer 0,2mm, for others the same as rest of layers.
For bigger things brim may be required to prevent edge deformations.