MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

HARDWARE

Please Login to Comment

Thread to document and discuss the several different motherboards, and revisions of i3 mega.
Photos, physical descriptions, and technical documents are wanted. Also general hardware discussion.

This thread will almost certainly occasionally overlap with the FIRMWARE thread:
https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/anycubic-i3-mega/forums/general/topic:16543
...and the i3 mega identification thread
https://www.thingiverse.com/groups/anycubic-i3-mega/forums/general/topic:27064

For anyone that's interested in the max load of ports (for example adding a laser)

FANS: 500mA
Hotend: 6A
Hotbed: 15A

May be a little bit annoying, for FANs: is 500mA per each port (eg. D7 support a 0.5A max load) or is the total supported on all the 3 ports (D9+D7+D44)?

On the board we have:

• An Vanguard VS40200ATD 25V, 35A Power MOSFET
  • 2 X Fairchild FDD8780 MOSFET 40V, 200A for Heater 0 and Heater 1

Don't know if the FANx PINS are wired to one of these MOSFETS.

What i want to achieve is to connect 3 or 4 x 0.125A FANs on FAN1 port (for MB and aux MOSFET cooling).

Comments deleted.

i3 mega Ultrabase - fan identification (refer to image)

Quoting facebook source:
Vlastimil Menšík

For those of you, who want to know, what fans are used in the Anycubic i3 Mega Ultrabase printer:
Power supply unit fan

• 60x60x15mm
  • 12V@120mA (should be 150mA)
  • noisy

Board and stepper motor fan

• 50x50x12mm
  • 12v@112mA (but should only be 100mA)
  • silent

Print fan

• 45x45x10.4mm, radial fan
  • 12V@190mA (should be 260mA)
  • noisy and high air pressure
  • according to datasheet - BFB04512HHA - it has 3.5CFM

Hot end fan

• 40x40x11mm
  • 12V@109mA (should only be 65mA)
  • noisy

All fans have two pins. The fans are in the same order as in the pictures.

Here is a very good port description of the Trigorilla board: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2485534/#files

Trigorilla port documentation

Several chunks of copypasta (formatting is mangled) with source URL's listed, describing the technical aspects of the original i3mega:

http://www.purchasingmachine.com/office-products/3d-printer/anycubic-integrated-3d-printer-main-board-compatible-mega2560-ramps1-4-combo-4-layers-pcb-controller-board-for-reprap-delta-kossel-mendel-prusa-i3/

Anycubic Integrated 3D Printer Main Board Compatible Mega2560 & RAMPS1.4 Combo 4 Layers PCB Controller Board for RepRap Delta Kossel Mendel Prusa I3

Product Features

Integrated with the multi-function of the Mega2560+ramps 1.4 kit, Great reduce the wiring problem, more convenient connection, and more stable.
Firmware can use the same configuration as ramps 1.4, the marlin firmware which runs in Mega2560+ramps 1.4 kits can run in TriGorilla board directly
Adopt ATmega2560 as the main control chip, coupled with the high performance USB serial converter CP2102. Support LCD2004 and LCD12864 without using adapter
Support up to 5 motor drivers, support A4988/ DRV8825 /TMC2100 driver: Motor drive circuit doesn't integrate on the circuit board, so you can change any stepper motor driver when you need, easier to operate.
TriGorilla had reserved SERVO, UART, IIC expansion, so you can control touch screen smart controller, control wireless module and the detection of break, etc

Product Description

Product Description:

TriGorilla is a main board developed by Anycubic R&D team that integrated with the multi- function of the Mega 2560+ramps 1.4 on respect of both software and hardware and has more premium features; the streamlined interfaces avoid the unnecessary troubles effectively and power than Ramps 1.4 + Mega2560, it is a feature rich all-in-one electronics solution for Reprap Mendel Prusa and other CNC devices

TriGorilla adopts DC-DC step-down scheme design and Recoverable fuse for short-circuit protection, improving the MEGA2560 board serious heating problem. Allowing any power supply from 10V-30V

Specifications:

Main Control Chip: ATMEGA256016AU

Input Power: 10V ~ 30V

Standby Current: 35mA±5mA

Stepper Motor Drivers: 5 channel Max

Hot bed Output Control: 1 channel

Heated output control: 2 channel

Under-current output control: 3 channel

Dimensions: 125mm x 82mm

Package List:
1* TriGorilla main board

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3D-Printer-ANYCUBIC-TriGorilla-Integrated-Main-board-Compatible-Mega2560-RAMPS1-4-Combo-Control-Board-4-Layers/32758526972.html

3D Printer ANYCUBIC TriGorilla Integrated Main board Compatible Mega2560 & RAMPS1.4 Combo Control Board 4 Layers PCB Controller Board for RepRap Mendel Prusa I3

TriGorilla is a integrated main board that is integrated with the mighty function of the Mega2560+ramps 1.4 on respect of both software and hardware and has more premium features; the streamlined interfaces effectively avoid the unnecessary troubles and power than Ramps 1.4 + Mega2560, it is a feature rich all-in-one electronics solution for Reprap Mendel Prusa and other CNC devices.

Main Control Chip: ATMEGA256016AU

Input Power: 10V ~ 30V

Standby Current: 35mA±5mA

Stepper Motor Drivers: 5 channel Max

Hot bed Output Control: 1 channel

Heated output control: 2 channel

under-current output control: 3 channel

Dimensions: 125mm x 82mm

Feature:
1, simple to install:
Integrated with the mighty function of the Mega2560+ramps 1.4 kit, Great reduce the wiring problem, more convenient connection, and more stable.
2, Convenient to use:
TriGorilla motherboard support LCD2004 and LCD12864 without using adapter, and there are two choices for main board power supply, you can choose DC power supply connection or directly from the terminal, it is convenient to use. TriGorilla use CP2102 chip as a serial port communication, communication not only stable, but also avoid the repeated to install the driver(There will be increased “COM” port when replacing the traditional 2560 board, so while those people who need to batch purchasing test, the “COM” increases to a certain value will lead to can’t upload the firmware problem.)
3, Excellent compatibility:
Firmware can use the same configuration as ramps1.4, the marlin firmware which runs in Mega2560+ramps 1.4 kits can directly running in TriGorilla board.
4, voltage input at super wide range, short-circuit protection:
TriGorilla adopts DC - DC step-down scheme design and Recoverable fuse for short-circuit protection, improving the MEGA2560 board serious heating problem, Allowing any power supply from 10V-30V.
5, Support up to 5 motor drivers, support A4988/ DRV8825 /TMC2100 driver:
Motor drive circuit doesn't integration on the circuit board. You can change any stepper motor driver you need, easier to operate. (Support A4988/ DRV8825 /TMC2100 driver)
6, Rich expansion port
TriGorilla had reserved SERVO, UART, IIC expansion, so you can use it realize automatic leveling, control touch screen smart controller, control wireless module and the detection of break, etc
7, wide applicability(widely used in 3D printers, e.g. Kossel, Prusa i3, corexy, etc

Package included:
1 x ANYCUBIC TriGorilla 3D printer control board
1 x 30cm USB cable

http://buyreview.info/trigorilla

Trigorilla Review
Trigorilla see our review to help you get the perfect products you would like. You can read detail information about this product below.

Trigorilla features comparison at this site help visitor to find best Trigorilla product at amazon by provides Trigorilla product features list, visitor can compares many Trigorilla product, simple click at read more button to find detail about Trigorilla features, description, costumer review, price and real time discount at amazon, below we provides Trigorilla features comparison tables.

Trigorilla Review Features Comparison

Product List Preview
TriGorilla 3D Printer Heating Controller MKS MOSFET for Heatbed Extruder MOS Module
Brand: TriGorilla

Each one will be done functional test
Superior performance of MOSFET (Max 280A)
Extra large heat sink , the maximum current can be up to 30A or more
Can use hot bed output signal of Ramp1.4 and MKS series to control
Can use digital signal of 5-24v to control

TriGorilla 3D Printer Heating Controller MKS MOSFET for Heatbed Extruder MOS Module

See It
XCSOURCE TriGorilla 3D Printer Motherboard Newest Controller Board Using ATMEGA2560-16U Chip for Replacing RAMPS1.4+Mega 2560 Kit for Kossel, Prusa i3 TE627
Brand: XCSOURCE

Integrated with the mighty function of the RAMPS1.4+Mega 2560 kit. Upgraded replacement for the old motherboards. With a compact size to save space and reduce the wiring caused problem.
TriGorilla motherboard supports LCD2004 and LCD12864 without using adapter, and there are two choices for main board power supply.
Can use the same configuration firmware as ramps1.4, the marlin firmware which runs in RAMPS1.4+Mega 2560 kits can also run in TriGorilla board.
DC 12V-35V wide range of voltage input, with short-circuit protection. With 5 motor driver slots, supports A4988 / DRV8825 / TMC2100 drivers.
Can widely be used on most 3D printers, e.g. Kossel, Prusa i3, etc.

XCSOURCE TriGorilla 3D Printer Motherboard Newest Controller Board Using ATMEGA2560-16U Chip for Replacing RAMPS1.4+Mega 2560 Kit for Kossel, Prusa i3 TE627

See It
TriGorilla MK2A 300x200x3mm Aluminum Heatbed Hotbed Hot Plate for 3D Printer Prusa Mendel

This heated bed made of thicker 3mm, which gives it additional strength necessary for bigger size PCB. Product can be used to upgrade your existing Prusa i3 3D printer to a larger 300 x 200 mm print area
The core is regular 1.6mm and the print surface is the same as regular heatbeds but with a metric ruler grid
The distance between mounting holes are 209mm and 309mm
Large solder pads for multiple wires (ribbon cable) or a SMD pinhead connector can be mounted

TriGorilla MK2A 300x200x3mm Aluminum Heatbed Hotbed Hot Plate for 3D Printer Prusa Mendel

See It
TriGorilla Transparent 1.75mm PLA 3D Printer Filament 1KG Spool

1.75mm Transparent PLA (Polylactic Acid) filament
Specifically designed for most 3D Printer and 3D Pen in the market ,such as RepRap, Makerbot, Lulzbot, Afinia, Solidoodle, MakerGear, Printrbot LC and ect
Vacuum sealed packaging guarantees you to experience the best perfomance by isolating moisturized enviroment to the filament
The PLA filament are capable to extrude smoothly that help to build a more delicate object
Backed by 100% satisfaction guarantee

TriGorilla Transparent 1.75mm PLA 3D Printer Filament 1KG Spool

See It
TriGorilla MKS BASE V1.0 3D Printer Control Motherboard Compatible RepRap Ramps1.4 With USB Cable

It gather all function on one board, which solved the Ramps1.4 combination interface problem, which easily out of order
Using 4982 as a motor drive, the SOP package, the effect of heat dispelling is better
Circuit board uses the high quality of 4 layer board,optimize heat dissipation;Ramp Is 2 layer board
Using special power supply chip, support the 12v-24v power input, solve the problem of Ramps voltage conversion of chip fever

TriGorilla MKS BASE V1.0 3D Printer Control Motherboard Compatible RepRap Ramps1.4 With USB Cable

See It
TriGorilla 3D Printer Glow in Dark PLA Filament 1.75mm 1KG Spool

1.75mm Glow in Dark PLA (Polylactic Acid) filament
Specifically designed for most 3D Printer and 3D Pen in the market ,such as RepRap, Makerbot, Lulzbot, Afinia, Solidoodle, MakerGear, Printrbot LC and ect
Vacuum sealed packaging guarantees you to experience the best perfomance by isolating moisturized enviroment to the filament
The PLA filament are capable to extrude smoothly that help to build a more delicate object

TriGorilla 3D Printer Glow in Dark PLA Filament 1.75mm 1KG Spool

See It
TriGorilla LJ12A3-4-Z/BX Inductive Proximity Sensor Switch NPN DC6-36V 3D Printer Bed Self Adjustment

This Proximity sensor is very useful and inexpensive solution for automated heatbed level adjustment
It detects metal objects (aluminum print surface)within 4mm distance

TriGorilla LJ12A3-4-Z/BX Inductive Proximity Sensor Switch NPN DC6-36V 3D Printer Bed Self Adjustment

See It
TriGorilla 3D Printer Prusa I3 Movement Kit GT2 Belt 20T Timing Pulley 608zz and 624zz Bearing LM8uu Linear Bearing Motor Shaft Coupler for Reprap
Brand: 3DTOP

GT2 Timing Belt System designed for linear motion and precision,6mm Wide, Stretch Resistant Fiberglass Reinforced Neoprene Rubber GT2 Timing Belt
High Quality Aluminum Pulleys for 5mm diameter shafts
608ZZ and 624ZZ dimensions suitable for use in such applications as skateboards, inline skates, and scooters
LM8UU Great for linear motion on 3D Printer, CNC, and other applications
The motor shaft coupler provides an extremely tight grip

TriGorilla 3D Printer Prusa I3 Movement Kit GT2 Belt 20T Timing Pulley 608zz and 624zz Bearing LM8uu Linear Bearing Motor Shaft Coupler for Reprap

See It
TriGorilla Golden 1.75mm PLA 3D Printer Filament 1KG Spool

1.75mm Golden PLA (Polylactic Acid) filament

TriGorilla Golden 1.75mm PLA 3D Printer Filament 1KG Spool

See It
OSOYOO MKS Base V1.5 3D Printer Controller remix Board ( Combination of Arduino MEGA2560 + RAMPS1.4 + 5PCS A4982 drivers) With USB Cable
Brand: OSOYOO

Marlin firmware installation guide link: http://www.osoyoo.com/?p=1399. Connection graph guide link: http://osoyoo.com/2016/07/03/reprap-mks-1-4-3d-printer-connection-graph/.
This MKS BASS V1.5 board is with simple interface as it is the combination of Arduino MEGA2560 + RAMPS1.4 + 5 x A4982 drivers. This MKS BASS V1.5 board with Arduino MEGA compatible Atmega2560 and FT232 processors can be compatible with all RAMPS class firmware
4 layers PCB design of MKS BASS V1.5 board optimize heat dissipation. A4982 drivers is SOP on MKS BASS V1.5 board, and it is better heat dissipation than A4988 driver
Suitable for dual-Extrude printer, support 3 fans. 3x temperature ADC connectors for thermistors, 4x PWM capable power mosfet outputs with voltage selector for MainPower.(Bed, Extruder0, Extruder1, Fans). 6x end stop connectors with power supply Xmin/Xmax/Ymin/Ymax/Zmin/Zmax
This MKS BASS V1.5 board can be recoverable fuse for short-circuit protection.

OSOYOO MKS Base V1.5 3D Printer Controller remix Board ( Combination of Arduino MEGA2560 + RAMPS1.4 + 5PCS A4982 drivers) With USB Cable

See It

People says about Trigorilla Comparison
It's just perfect! Everything works. It came about one day after it said it would come but, it was worth the wait! If you're looking for something small to take to school or on vacation, then this is great. What's also great is that is very light so you can probably put Trigorilla in a purse.

COPIED FROM AMAZON LISTING

Product features

Large build volume: 210 x 210 x 205mm and user friendly 3.5-inch TFT touch screen
Rigid metal frame and superior stability, can be assembled in under just 2 minutes! Faster and more accurate printing within mere microns
Filament detection: Automatic printing pause when filament runs out, resume after filament re-load with just one click
Proximity sensor leveling support. Combined with the advantage of manual and auto leveling
Auto resume when printing in case of a power failure

Product description

Quality Guarantee:

Professional tech support and customer service. Feel free to make contact! We are here to answer to any customer needs. Satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:

All Anycubic i3 Mega 3D Printers have been Certificated by CE, FCC, RoHS and EN

Technical Specifications:

Printing Technology: FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling)

Layer Resolution: 0.05-0.3 mm

Positioning Accuracy: X/Y 0.01mm Z 0.002mm

Print Speed: 20~100mm/s (Recommended Speed 60% )

Travel Speed: 150mm/s

Nozzle Diameter: 0.4 mm

Extruder Quantity: 1

Support Print Materials: PLA, ABS, HIPS, WOOD

Build Dimensions : 210 x 210 x 205mm

Here is the video for your reference: https://youtu.be/zwKTwh0XlPk

Here is the manual in pdf:https: //drive.google.com/open?id=0B8VIB533cgdMaTdLQVU4SG8wd2M

Temperature:

Operational Print Bed Temperature: 100ºC Max

Operational Extruder Temperature: 275ºC

Ambient Operating Temperature: 8ºC - 40ºC

Software:

Input Formats: .STL, OBJ, .DAE, .AMF

Slicer Software: Cura

Cura Output Formats: G-Code

Connectivity: SD Card & USB support

Electrical:

Input Rating: 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz, 1.5A Physical Dimensions:

Printer Dimensions: 405 x 410 x 453mm

Package Weight: 15kg

Package List:

1x I3 Mega

1x 8G SD Card

1x User Guide

1x Backup Hotend Set

1x Test filament ( Random Color )

1x Spool Holder

1x Tool Set

COPIED FROM 3DPRINTERKART.COM SITE LISTING

Quick Information:
Brand Name: Anycubic
No. of Extruders : Single
Filament Diameter : 1.75mm
Heated Bed: Yes
Nozzle Diameter : 0.4 mm
Print speed : 20 - 100mm/s
Delivery Period : 7 to 10 working days Model Name/No : i3 Mega
Print Size (XYZ) :210x210x205mm
Layer Resolution : 0.05 - 0.3mm
Filament compatibility :PLA,ABS,HIPS,Wood etc
Software : Cura & Other Open Source
Positioning accuracy : X 0.01mmY 0.01mm Z 0.002mm

Note: Ships from china, Prices are excluding local custom duties & taxes. You can calculate here

Key Features:

• Exclusive Trigorilla Mainboard Supports All features

• Features like power resume, smart levelling , Filament run out detection

• 3.2" TFT Touchscreen , Flash assembly , Faster print rate.

• Plug Type EU OR AU Optional

• This printer's mainboard is exclusively designed by Anycubic called " Trigorilla mainboard" to support all features like Power resume, Smart * levelling , Filament run out detection .

• Filament run out detection feature automatically pause the printer when filament runs out, user can change filament and on one click print resume from same position.

• This printer is upgraded to large build volume compared to other printer in this price & feature range.It supports all latest filaments in market.

• The Body is metal Build, superior stability improving printing accuracy. It hardly takes some minutes to flash assemble the printer with 8 screws. Its Touchscreen display supports multi language custom friendly userinterface runs smoothly.

• Specially designed printing head and platform made of light weight aluminium alloy and dual fan helps for fast and accurate printing.
  • See more at: https://www.3dprinterkart.com/Products/details/Anycubic%20i3%20Mega%20Large%20Desktop%203D%20Printer%20Trigorilla%20Mainboard%20Print%20Area%20210X210X205/MzM2/USD#sthash.FNIoYXUi.dpuf

I also received a Version 04 unit on Feb 10, 2018. It has a 32-bit Trigorilla Pro board. Unfortunately, mine is DOA and there is no refund option and tech support seems very reluctant to pronounce the board bad or get around to replacing it.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a source of supply for this new board?

Hello Steve,
I have Trigorilla Pro printer too. I`ve bought full set of Trigorilla 8 bit version hardware, want to make downgrade. I bought it all in Aliexpress Anycubic Official Store. I have contact to Anycubic support via Skype to the person Anycubic-Renee. He help me with all hardware. If you will expect some problems with support, I can sell you my Trigorilla Pro mainboard after downgrading my printer.

Is there any way to identify this version from the 1.1 v3 from the outside?

Is there an option to change the stepper drivers. I have the new 32-bit Trigorilla Pro controller board.

I changed the drivers to Trinamic's TMC2208. It's pretty tricky though. You need the tools (I had: preheater, hot air, pcb microscope, soldering iron with fine tip) and skills (and nerves ;) ) to desolder the QFN-28 drivers, one 0603 cap and the two 0603 sense resistors near the connector for each of the drivers.

[cap between pin 4 and 5: 100nF -> 22nF, Rsense (2x, on pin 23 and 27): 68 mOhms -> 180 mOhms 0.15Ohms]

EDIT: use 0.15Ohms instead of 0.18Ohms according to the application note and some sources on the anycubic stepper motors)

Trinamic has an application note on that: https://www.trinamic.com/fileadmin/assets/Support/Appnotes/AN045-How_to_replace_Allegro_A4988_with_TMC2208_01.pdf

Pretty risky (I couldn't find a replacement board online if anything had gone wrong), but the results are very impressive!

I successfully changed my drivers too :), Moving to Home Position worked without issues, next week I will do a test print but I am optimistic. I made a "short" video how I did it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgfgaxbQA6w

Thanks JoeyRay for the hints!

I'm glad (and kind of relieved ;)) everything worked out fine! Now it sounds just like my printer. Except for the fans. Yours sound pretty scary ;)
Your firmware seems to be newer than mine. Did your printer came with that version or did you upgrade it?
If you upgraded, did you notice any changes? Is there an online guide (esp. for the 32 Bit board)?

Yes, my fan is end of life, the firmware has been posted here: https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/issues/2309 , that enables one to have correct communication with octoprint serial commands, nothing else improved...

After I've done the homing test I've been pleased to early... The first print failed, the extruder stepper did not move, so I resoldered the whole E_Motor part and now it works, but today I realized a lot of layer shift in X direction, I guess my X Stepper looses steps. So I wanted to adjust the VREF's but I was not able to get any VREF Voltages... Do you have an idea where I have to pick off the vref? I tried it with my multimeter on ground to one of those GND-Pads on the board and the other on directly on the potentiometer near the drivers but I dont get any usefull reading, just floating numbers... I also touched the steppers and they where all quite cold so I guess they dont get enough power...
EDIT, or needs the motors to be running to get a vref voltage?

Hmm that is interesting. I also had layer shifts in X (maybe around 2 - 4 times in a 4 hour print). After stepping down from 3600mm/min to 2400mm/min everything worked fine. So I didn't bother to look in to it any further. I blamed it on the igus bushings. What speeds did you use?

As far as I know those drivers step down power, when they don't have to move. Try moving the print head. If you can move it, it is likely that the drivers use less/no current (maybe coolstep: https://www.trinamic.com/technology/adv-technologies/coolstep/).

Can you try measuring VREF directly at Pin 17 (+ GND at Pin 18) of the driver?

Ah, I just found something! I guess you are right about the current.
In the Trinamic application note they used 0,18Ohms in the application example.
But in the table below they also list 0.15Ohms for 1.5A motors.
And the Anycubic steppers seem to be of that type according to this site: http://www.steppermotorshop.com/anycubic-nema-17-stepper-motor-bipolar-1-5a-40ncm57-1oz-in-4-leads-for-3d-printer-or-cnc-parts/
I totally missed that! :(
I guess I will order some resistors tomorrow ;)

I will do more testing tomorrow. I stumbled upon the same resistor thing. But the values they used are for IRMS, so if our stepper has 1.5A Peak shouldnt it be 1.5A*0,707 = 1,06A rms, so that should fit for the 180mOhm rsense.. or not? And they recommend another thing somewhere in the datasheet. We shall use 0.5W rsense resistors, but my local dealer only has 0,25. Well, I maybe get a thermal imager next weeks so I can check if there are issues on my 0,1W resistors.

Hmm don't know. Factored in tolerances maybe? At least they say "Fitting motor type" in the table.
As for the resistor. I couldn't find 0603 0.5W 0.15Ohm resistors anywhere either.
I guess I'll order some 0805 0.5W and some 0603 0.25W.
At least my board/drivers/resistors survived until now with standard resistors at ambient temperatures sometimes above 40°C while printing ;)
Checking with a thermal imager would be very cool :)

Where do you order the resistors?

For easy to get items I order at conrad, ebay, amazon.
other stuff I get at digikey
For small things like those resistors it's ok for me to order them at work at
digikey, rs components, farnell, mouser or distrelec

But I decided to try adjusting the potis first before ordering.

I just opened up my printer and measured the voltages at the pins you figured out.
Y has around 1V whereas all other axes have somewhere around 0,85V.

What values do you have. Had any luck adjusting them?
When I turn the poti the value increases up to 1,6V. After that it jumps straight to 3,3V and than back to 0.
The poti seems to have no stopper (at least I hope so ;D)
I think I try a test print after dinner with all motors set to 1,2 - 1,3V.

Why the heck is my last comment flaged for moderation... okay I try it again. I found out there were commands like "G0 F6000..." in my gcode files and I found out that parameter came from "Travel Speed" in Cura which was set to 100mm/s... So I lowered it to 40mm/s for now and no more skipping occoring. Here is a quote from trinamic I just got
"The cause of layer shift is often too high start / stop speed. Reason: The motor driver must compensate for the back EMF of the motor during acceleration phases. The voltage-controlled stealthChop regulates the power more slowly, filtered through several motor steps, than does a current-controlled chopper like spreadCycle. Readjustment is only possible with continuous acceleration, not with jumps such as start / stop."

It would be interesting to know if people with the plugged TMC2208 module also have this speed issue...
For the VREF I've had values from ~0,94 to 1 or so, I set them all to 1,2V but that did not change anything to the skipping steps.
I will now try to increase travel speed and find out whats the max speed without skipping...

Nice that yours is working properly now :)
Good to know! I'll try some speed tests in future to see where the limits are.
But for now I think I just killed the poti for the extruder. I can't make it match the values of the other ones. It's overall resistance differs also.
I will have to order a new one.
I guess more soldering work for me ;) I might test the driver without any VREF resistor at all, when I have to desolder it anyway. Somewhere in the datasheet they say it is somewhat optional.

In my facebook posts to this issue someone gave me a hint to the pdf you mentioned above. Have you any idea how this microstepping might be affecting our mod? On page 3 they mention that 2,4,16 microstepping wont require any change but what if our Any uses 1,8 microstepping?

Ok, seems 3d printers generally use 1/16 microstepping except a few others...

Yes I think so. It's some time ago now that I did the mod, but I think I checked that MS1, 2 and 3 were set to 1/16 beforehand.
And I guess the printers depend on those microsteps since the stepper resolution isn't the best anyway (I have a bunch of motors laying around with twice as much steps).

I think I just found the reason for the massive step skipping. As you sugested I decreased print speed and accelleration in cura below 30mm/s, but I still got step skipping. Wondering why this happens I opened the gcode and looked through it and I found "G0 F6000 ..." commands, that is of cause HIGHSPEED :D. I missed the travel speed setting in cura, it was somehow hidden and set to 100mm/s. It seems those drivers are really speed sensitive. So I just set "travel speed" to 40mm/s and oh wonder... no skipping anymore. Would be interesting what's the actual number limit without skipping steps.

Here's another explanation by "Bernhard" from the Trinamic Support:

"The cause of layer shift is often too high start / stop speed. Reason: The motor driver must compensate for the back EMF of the motor during acceleration phases. The voltage-controlled stealthChop regulates the power more slowly, filtered through several motor steps, than does a current-controlled chopper like spreadCycle. Readjustment is only possible with continuous acceleration, not with jumps such as start / stop."

For VREF I've found values from 0,94 to 1,03 or so, I currently have all set to 1,2V, but that did not change the skipping.

I will try to find the optimal speed settings step by step and live with that, as I said next week I will maybe take a thermal look onto the board and then I will see how the resistors are doing :)

and here is the thermal look... I am a little bit impressed how little heat is on the board without fan! No parts hotter that ~61°C :). The Rsense resistors do not even touch the 60°C's. So I am fine for now with the mod, no need for further actions except fan replacements :)
https://youtu.be/WibPKsb6lpQ

Comments deleted.

Found the VREF! You don't have to tap the middle of the poti but the upper right side (see image). I found my Vref's were set to something between 0.94 to 1.03... I will now adjust and see what happens.
EDIT: according to this page the tmc2208 does not have Coolstep:
https://www.trinamic.com/products/integrated-circuits/

Comments deleted.

@JoeyRay Just three last questions :)

Did you use the original heatsinks from the A4988 drivers or different ones?
How did you glue them on the TMC2208?
Do you had to adjust anything else with the new drivers? (pot's, firmware, wiring...)

I just finished my first A4988 desolder/resolder test on that cheap ebay module successfully, I am
optimistic that this is doable :) I will do more practizing before doing it on the board...

I bought some heatsinks with adhesive from ebay.
I don't know how well they perform. Checking the temps while printing is still on my ToDo-list ;)
But I've built an almost airtight enclosure for the printer and did some prints with Polymaker PC-Max (Nozzle 260°C, Bed 110°C, Inside the enclosure ~40°C, print times 3-5 hours) and everything survived ;D

Oh and I replaced all fans with more silent ones (same size though).

Except for the drivers, caps and resistors I haven't made any changes to the board.
I did experience occasional 1mm layer shifts in the X-Axis. But I think those happened because I also switched from linear bearings to igus bushings. I stepped down printing and travel speed from 3600 to 2400 mm/min and everything printed fine again.
Also on my ToDo-list: switching back to linear bearings on the X-Axis :]

@JoeyRay, can you take a look at this image if I marked the correct parts? I just do some pre-examinations.
As you suggested I will first practice soldering on cheap A4988's and some 0603's and will then decide if
I dare to do it on the Trigorilla board and order those TMC2208 :)

The Resistors are the right ones. The cap seems right too, but I'm not 100% sure anymore ;). If it's between Pin 4 and 5, it should be the right one.

Edit: be sure to use 0.18 Ohms. not 180MOhms

Yes, I missed that. My online search for 180MOhms SMD's was quite disappointing! :)

That's about it!
Differences to my approach:

• Used a preheater
  • cleaned the pads thoroughly with solder wick and alcohol after desoldering
  • applied solder paste instead of using wire

Important! Use a heat shield of some kind for the plastic parts like the connectors and the speaker (Kapton tape, fr4 board, small wooden board, whatever)
In my case I had luck. The speaker melted a bit and deformed. But in a way that it's not so annoyingly loud anymore :)

BTW: Trinamic offers samples to companies free of charge.

Do you remember if those QFN-28 drivers had its soldering pads below the housing or are the on the sides too? I just saw that this would be quite pain in the a** to de/solder, especially for a NOOB like me... I maayybbee consider to try that (if I finished my important printing projects...)

As far as I can remember they looked just like the A4988. I was able to see if the Pin was soldered or not.
You could practice with those cheap A4988 driver modules from ebay.

This is good to know. Maybe I can take the board to a place that repairs tablets. This would be an easy mod for those with the skills.

I don't think so, as they are soldered directly on the PCB.

perhaps with extra adapter

Then it’s easier to put in a ramps. (:

Cool... can you make a close shot of the processor? I can not see the full processor case.
But as much as I could see, I don't expect that a custom firmware will run on it in the near future.

I've added images of the controller board without the obstruction of the fan, including an image that shows all identification information for the microprocessor.

I can read this off the processor: STM32F103ZET6

This isn't the same board, but it uses the same chip, has integrated drivers (only 4), has wifi expansion and what looks like the same LCD ribbon: http://www.cbd-3d.com/en/prod/fdm.shtml
Manual: http://www.chitucloud.com/chitudoc/read/compressed/ChiTu_FDM_manual%2FFDM_Chitu-V3.6-users-manual-%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E8%AF%B4%E6%98%8E%E4%B9%A6.pdf
Latest firmware: v1.4rc11 (I believe the same name of anycubic firmware on 32bit board) : http://www.chitucloud.com/chitudoc/read/下载中心.html

bartolomeus,

Your post and link made me think that the 32-bit Trigorilla "Pro" board uses the Allegro A4988 drivers, as that is what the board you linked to uses. Alice Yu of Anycubic 3D has confirmed this to be true.

Seems to be board made for anycubic by CBD-Tech.

I actually sent gcodes that were provided by CBD-Tech in their setup and.... It works!
You can changed max temp. settings, thermistor type etc.

I used
M8023 I50
and now my heat bead will not go over 50degC.

at the end use gcode M8500 to save values.
I attach txt files which is in fact gcode file provided by CBD-Tech with all codes available as well ass descriptions.
One of the files have more descriptions I took it from ChiTu F Plus version 4.0.5 documentation and translated by google translator.

enjoy :)

Comments deleted.