MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Marlin Filament out sensor

Please Login to Comment

I think it's supported? I was thinking about getting a filament out for my ramps 1.4 board but I haven't seen too much talked about them.

On RAMPS based boards it's SERVO3_PIN

See the attached pic for where it's installed in my machine.

Ok, thanks for the picture! I assume what it does is when it runs out it beeps and says load filament?

More or less... you can also program it to move the nozzle to the side to avoid dimples. One caveat with this feature is the motors may turn off, requiring a rehome before resume, which often isn't accurate enough to resume. Also, the bed heater may turn off for prolonged pauses, which of course can ruin some prints. All of these behaviors can be changed in the firmware. Just wanted to bring these pitfalls to your attention so you can include them in your setup process. I have a filament sensor that works well, but fortunately I have never had to use it (octoprint keeps track of filaments for me so I know when I might run out).

Yes, it's a call of an M600 command defined within Configuration_adv.h

On RAMPS based boards it's SERVO3_PIN.

See the pic for where it's connected in my install.

It's supported in Marlin, check your specific board for how to attach the wires. You can also use Octoprint and a Raspberry Pi to detect runout and reload.